Mods and Rockers Revisited

History and music of Liverpool
anonymous

Mods and Rockers Revisited

Post by anonymous »

The Mods and Rockers were part of the socialization of those who grew up in the 1960s. Your comments pertaining to the article Mods and Rockers posted on The Liverpool Project are encouraged and welcomed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The following article from the Liverpool Echo underscores the increasing problem of gangs in Liverpool. I would be interested in comments from those interested in the history of Liverpool with regard to gangs over the past forty years. It seems that the goals of gangs have changed in the Port City over the years. While birds of a feather still flock together, they seem to a more serious impact of day to day life, since the days of the Mods and the Rockers. So how have gangs changed? I am aware of the Peanut Gang in Liverpool in the late 1950s and 1960s. Any information you have with regard to this gang would be of interest. Thanks.
Extra Cash Bid To Beat Gangs
Feb 9 2004
By Ian Hernon, Liverpool Echo

HOME Office minister Hazel Blears has promised a review of Merseyside's battle against organised crime.

She agreed to "look further" at chief constable Norman Bettison's complaints that his £320m budget does not reflect the pressures of curbing the region's crime overlords.

This week Merseyside won a 3.2% funding rise, in line with most other UK forces.

But the region's MPs told her that was not enough to deal with gangsters, gun-runners and drug-smugglers whose activities spill over Merseyside's borders.

Ms Blears said that as MP for Salford she is "very conscious of the pressures of serious and organised crime along the M62 corridor from Greater Manchester to Merseyside".

She added: "Merseyside has developed some extremely effective ways of dealing with it, but clearly that is at a cost to the force."

A government consultation paper was published last year on the long-term future of the police.

Ms Blears added: "We wanted to make sure that we got right not only community policing, but also the structure to deal with serious and organised crime which is unfortunately increasing in our communities.

"I undertake to look further at that matter." Merseyside's police strength is 4,111 full-time officers and 1,842 support staff, roughly in line with Home Office targets.

But Knowsley North and Sefton East MP George Howarth said: "The government should take into account the presence of organised crime in areas such as Merseyside when the funding formula is renewed.

"Merseyside has an exceptional burden. There should not be a fixed penalty for living in an area that has a higher than normal amount of organised crime."

Southport MP John Pugh said: "On Merseyside the police have to spend much time, resources and manpower on only a few, but none the less important, investigations into terrorism and the drugs trade. Liverpool is a port of access for both."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

I talked with a writer who was working for a Dutch TV, a couple of years ago. He was born in Liverpool, and was a teenager in 1963. He left the city in 1967. I remember he told me a lot about gangs, and how dangerous they were. It seems that the Liverpool gangs, in the sixties, were created because of the residence of the members or their support for a particular beat group. A Saturday night out was not an easy thing in Liverpool back then. The writer told me that it wasn´t rare that you were caught between gangs when they were fighting. Chains and blades were very common. Concerning the 'mods vs. rockers' affair, mods were difficult to find in great numbers in the North of England. Liverpool´s gangs were more into the 'rocker' style, although I have seen a photograph of a Liverpool mod, taken in 1964. I´ll try to find it.
rictified

Post by rictified »

What was the difference between the two?
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

To make a large story short, I would say that 'mods' were into R&B, modern jazz and soul music, and later, into The Who, Small Faces, Creation, Action... etc. They dressed very neatly (taylor-made suits and shirts... etc) and used scooters ('Vespa', 'Lambretta') full of extra lights and mirrors. 'Rockers' were into fifties rock and roll, wore leather jackets, rode motorcycles, had greasy hair, didn´t like the new bands... etc. Hope this helps!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

We had the surfers and the greasers in school (So. California), sort of the same. Sort of not, but they'd fight each other. Surfers jacked their cars up, greasers lowered 'em.
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Well, actually there were 'mods' in the United States, around 1964-1966. There was some 'mod' bands, too (i.e: Powder, a great 'Who-style' band). It´s curious, but many London 'mods' loved surf and surf music!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

didn't The Who start out as a surf band?
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

No, Jerry, not exactly: Keith Moon played in The Beachcombers before joining The Who in 1964. He was a fan of the 'surf sound'.
rictified

Post by rictified »

We had the jocks and the freaks, I never played sports.
rictified

Post by rictified »

So I assume The Beatles were more rockers than mods?
miguel
RRF Consultant

Post by miguel »

Oh, good question, Bob. A reporter asked the same question to Lennon in the spring of 1964. Here is the answer: 'We are Mockers'.

Seriously, no member of The Beatles was a 'Mod', nor The Beatles was a 'Mod Band', although John, Paul, George and Ringo did dress like top 'mods' from 1963 to 1966 (measured-made suits and shirts, ties, fancy shoes, sunglasses...
rictified

Post by rictified »

Thanks, I was going more from their original style of dress with the leather jackets and stuff before Brian Epstein changed their look.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”