Scams

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rob
Veteran RRF member

Scams

Post by rob »

On another (local) website dedicated to music, I have been occasionally putting advertisements of things for sale. I first started posting these ads in what they call "Band Classified" section. So, I give my email address and I get these emails from "Interested People." You can tell these are scams because they sound so rediculous.

EX: Hi. My name is Mr. John Perkins and I am interested in your [Hamer 12-String Bass]. I live in Austria, and I am on call for many business trips. I need this item on an emergency basis, so the asking price is OK with me. I would like you to delete your posting, as you should consider it sold. As for shipping, I have a shipper of my choice that I feel very comfortable with, so you should not have to worry about that. As for payment, my client who happens to live in your area, owes me a very large sum of money. I will instruct him to send you a bank cheque made out in your name for $3,500. I trust that you will deduct out what is owed to you for the [Hamer 12-String Bass] and send the rest back to me.

I started posting on that website this past May. I know these scams are not at all new. I just want to know anyone else's stories with these scammers. I actually find myself posting a fake advertisement (on that website only) just so I can get a good laugh at some of these rediculous emails.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

"asking price" and these stupid cash offers are the obvious scam techniques from some guy in Indonesia. He uses several names and emails and when he has written to me I always have the same response: "G-F-Y." He must know me by now. All my auctions, regardless, if their child clothes, say "No Indonesia."
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

All these scam emails I've been getting all sound the same, as if they're pre-made up and the scammer just fills in the blanks. All the guy does is make up a different name. Or it could be a bunch of people with this pre-made scheme.

On one email, there was a line in there that was a little different. "Please send pictures, if any." Just before I hit the delete button, I noticed my camera right next to me. I just had to take a picture of my hand showing him that he's number one! Image
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Has anyone received a "someone left me $3 million dollars which I will split with you if you provide a U.S. bank account" e-mail from Africa yet? They are hilarious.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Oh yeah. I get those too. "I am Sabhu Shirad, King of Zambabwe....." Goofballs.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

These are Nigerian 149 scam letters and you would not believe how many people have lost their lives over this. The FBI has a special team on this. I get three or four of these a week! It is fun, although time-consuming, to string these guys along.

One recipient of two of these letters, actually got both guys interested, get their descriptions, and arranged a meeting at Amsterdam airport between the two of the scammers, each one thinking the other was his "mark". He had a friend videotape the meeting from a distance, and he posted it on his website.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

And the website would be...? I'd love to see that!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

http://www.scambusters.org/is where I originally found the story.

You can also Google "Nigerian 149"
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Trivia”