I Want My Mapo

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

admin
Site Admin

I Want My Mapo

Post by admin »

I have a memory of a breakfast cereal from the 1960s in which parents were trying to gently force-feed a child who wouldn't eat his morning cereal. They pretended that the cereal was an airplane that would dive into his mouth, that is the hanger. In the end the child replied, "I want my Mapo." Does anyone recall the product?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

I wasn't around yet for that commercial, but I do remember "Mikey Likes It" from Life cereal. Who doesn't? Image
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Maple hot cereal, right? It was a shade before my time...

I've seen the commercial though.
Shaking the floor of Heaven
octagon

Post by octagon »

Yes,the boys name was Marky Maypo.Do you remember another cereal that was popular at that time called Maltex.The ad had a little girl telling a little boy(her brother?) a bedtime story that began: Every day a little man comes and he he says "Maaaaaltex!" Remember?
wayang

Post by wayang »

I sure do remember it...even the little jingle: "Ev'ry single morning, I want my Mapo..."

Still got some old neurons firing, I guess...remarkable as it might seem.
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Very edgy commercials for their time--about '59 or '60. Jittery, primitive cartoon style a lá Jules Pfeiffer or Johnny Hart.

"The hat. Gimme the cowboy hat!" (Dad)

"I want my cowboy hat..." (Marky)

"After breakfast..." (Dad)

"I want it now!" (Marky)

Then the plug where Dad pretends the spoon is an airplane, delivering Maypo to the recalcitrant youngster's cargo hatch....
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes that is it Dane and Paul, Maypo. Thanks.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
octagon

Post by octagon »

Oh I remember the airplane/spoon "BBBRRRRR...loaded with delicious...BBBBRRRRRR...maple flavor...BBBRRRRR...MAYPO!"
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Doesn't the Maypo end up zooming into the father's mouth (who starts enjoying it), then the kid really gets steamed and says I want my Maypo?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Jerry, that is my memory, however, there may have been a number of commercials.

shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Yes, there were a series of them if I recall. That one sticks out in my mind.
jaybic

Post by jaybic »

My dad always sang this jingle for a cereal:
"Who ate my Post Toasties?
Who ate my Post Toasties?
Let's go down to the grocery store
Tell that man we gotta have more.
PPOOOSSSTTTT Toasties!"

Never saw the commercial or even remember that cereal but the jingle sticks with me.
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

It's definately not cereal, but I do remember a Spam commercial where a father makes a Spam sandwich, and his little boy somehow eats it when the father bends down to pick up something off the floor. I liked that commercial, so I bought a can. Let's just say I like the commercial a whole lot better. Image
wayang

Post by wayang »

My dad told me about a candy bar they had when he was a kid growing up in Depression-Era Tulsa...called "Whiz". Their radio slogan was "Whiz...best nickel candy bar there is!" Then the price went up to ten cents at some point, which produced an unintentionally hilarious result (you have to pronounce it with an Oklahoma accent): "Whiz...best daahhm candy bar there is!"
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”