Byrd's Compositions and Hits

Those who flock to The Byrds
admin
Site Admin

Byrd's Compositions and Hits

Post by admin »

The first couple of big hits for The Byrds were covers that they did of Dylan (Mr. Tambourine Man) and Seeger (Turn Turn Turn, Lyrics by who knows). I am wondering what first Byrd's hits single was a Byrds' composition.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

If I recall correctly, the original Byrds single of "Turn, Turn, Turn" was backed with the Gene Clark tune, "She Don't Care About Time". I think this B Side may have gotten limited airplay. If not that, then 8 Miles High would be the 1st,
probably followed by "Mr. Spaceman".8MH is McGuinn, Crosby and Clark writing.
terry
Veteran RRF member

Post by terry »

The B-side of The Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man" single was Gene Clark's "I Knew I'd Want You".

Quote:8. I Knew I'd Want You
(G. Clark)
Rec. date: 1/20/65
Stereo 2:14

Originally the B-side of "Mr. Tambourine Man,"
this was early proof that the Byrds were more
than capable of composing their own material.
It's worth noting that if the group had failed
to secure permission to release a Dylan song then
this Clark tune would have launched their career.

Mr. Tambourine Man reissue CD booklet, p. 12
Tim

Post by Tim »

From my hazy recollection, Gene Clark's "Set You Free This Time" was paired with Jim McGuinn's "It Won't Be Wrong" by CBS for a UK, double A-side, single relase in early 1966. As far as I recall, the pairing made the lower reaches of the British charts.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Tim and Tomcat. "I Knew I'd Want You", "Set You Free This Time" and "It Won't Be Wrong" are terrific compostions and certainly vintage Byrds. I am beginning to learn that Gene Clark may be my favourite Byrd composer.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”