Peterson VS-1 Virtual Strobe Tuner - OPINIONS PLEASE

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

anonymous

Peterson VS-1 Virtual Strobe Tuner - OPINIONS PLEASE

Post by anonymous »

Greetings!

I am seriously considering purchasing a Peterson VS-1 Virtual Strobe Tuner and retiring my "ancient" Conn strobo-tune that I'v had for years. There is nothing wrong with the Conn, but I'm thinking that if I can obtain the same accuracy from a smaller unit, use it as my "main" tuner, and not worry about my vintage Conn...why not?

Any users here of the VS-1? All "formed" opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Best ~$200.00 I've spent on gear in a long time.
Proper intonation. It's a _good_ thing.

Claude
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

The CONN is a nice tuner , but I sold mine 22 years ago in favor of a Peterson .

I then bought a second Peterson ...I am curious about these . The owner of Seattle's "American Music" store wants me to try one and give him some feed back .

The first thing to check , is any 12 string . Then check it against my other tuners , then use a scope to check that . Before the end of the year ...I'll look into this .
With the shrinking size of components , this tuners has great promise .
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Claude ......hows your 12 string doing ? Any problems since I saw it ?
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

The good Doc asked:
Claude ......hows your 12 string doing ? Any problems since I saw it ?

It is absolutely a joy to play now that it stays in tune and intonates correctly in all positions. Having proper spacing of the string pairs makes it easy to play even with the skinny neck.

The only problem I've had was a bit of remorse when I turned down a $3K offer for it recently.

The remorse quickly passed when I plugged it into the AC30 and cranked it a bit :^).
I told the potential buyer to find another '65 somewhere and send it to you for a setup.

I'm keeping mine for the duration.

Claude
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

And to get back on track, sorta, :^)

I _really_ like the VS-1. Especially for the 12 string. I can hear the difference in an instrument tuned with the VS-1 and one tuned with a TU-12, for instance. I _definately_ can hear the difference between instruments intonated with each. The VS-1 is much more accurate. A cent here and a cent there might not matter to a lot of folks, but to me it can be the difference between a "sweet" sounding instrument and a "sour" one that makes me fiddle with the tuners more than necessary.

The LCD emulation of the spinners isn't too bad either. It is backlit and visible in the dark, if needed. I bought the wallwart with it, but have been running for 4 months on a set of batteries ( 3 x AA ) with light-moderate usage. It seems to quickly sense pitch and react accordingly.
It also allows the use of different tunings and different temperments. Seems like it'll be low maintenance, no mechanical stuff. Rubber armor.

Anyway, I like it.

Claude
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

My Peterson VS-1 is the best $200 I have spent on musical equipment in a long time. The other best $200 was on a Grado phono cartridge 10 years ago, which I still have and it still sounds great. The Peterson should last just as long and make my guitars a lot more pleasant to use. Everybody that sets up their own instruments should have one. It is much more accurate than my little Korg GA-30 digital tuner.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”