Advice on a duck...

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

nattiep
Advanced Member

Advice on a duck...

Post by nattiep »

For the past couple weeks we (my family) have had a pair of ducks come to the door. Every day I rip up a couple pieces of bread and put a bowel of water out for them, and every day they come back for more. Well today I went out to give some bread to the female duck.. the male was MIA... and next to the water bowel there was an egg.. a greenish brown egg. So I think the duck laid an egg in our lawn! All day yesterday she was in that spot, on the egg probably, and lying in the sun. My worry is it's a little cold out today, and she's not on top of the egg.

What should I do? I just want to leave her there... I think she trusts me. I can come withing a few feet of her before she starts to run. And I almost stepped on the egg today. Thank god I didn't! I didn't touch it. I left it. Any advice?
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

So, the male duck turned into an egg, eh? Image
rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

Leave it. Somehow, I remember hearing when I was little that if you touch an egg that a bird is trying to hatch, the mother doen't come back for it. Why? I do not know. I'd leave the mother and her unborn child alone, if it was me.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Well my step dad nudged the egg into the bushes... and my baby cousin is chasing the duck around.. I'm worried. I tried to get her back into my yard. I put bread and fresh water near the egg.. but she doesn't see it. Now I'm upset. I wish I had never found it. i could have just left her there and everything woulda been ok. Pfft.. now I'm getting all teary eyed. Heh.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Now you have to sit on the egg!
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

LOL!
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Well she looks like a young duck... she'll have more.. but I still feel bad.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Hopefully eveything will be OK Nate... ducks are resilient creatures - just look at Donald........

Be thankful it wasn't a cow at the back door!!

"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

ROFL! Way to lighten the moment Aitch. Image
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Not too light I hope, Nate. I know how you feel - any life or potential life is a precious thing. I had to do some terrible things to animals when I was a Jackeroo (including kill them) and they are still vivid, horrid memories.

I really wanted to be a vet but I hated maths and sciences (except biology and geography) so I was never gonna get there, was I?
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Well the male duck came back.. they are completely ignoring the egg now. Poor thing. I went and gave them some more bread and the male started quacking at me.. all mad like. I said sorry. And he stopped.. but they walked away.

I just feel bad I killed an unborn. I LOVE babies. You can't get me away from a baby. When my ma's cousin brings her 1 year old over she gives her to me first. Even though this baby wasn't a human baby I still feel guilt.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
apollo11
Intermediate Member

Post by apollo11 »

Nate, I wouldn't worry too much, especially don't be worried that your may have caused something like a chicks death. There is a very good chance it wasn't even fertilized.

A duck story of my own:
My Brother, Hugh, had a wild mallard which he found when it was a duckling. It had been orphaned and was unable to fly more than a couple feet off the ground and only for 30-40 feet at a time. Hugh also had a collie named Hunter. Well, the duck grew up and he and Hunter were absolutely crazy about each other. They would stay together all day long---Hunter would lie down and Beasley would sit on his back, taking a rest. He was crazy about my brother, too. Hughie could pick him up at any time. He could bend over and put his hand to the ground, and the duck would waddle right up and sit in his palm to be lifted up. With anybody else, he was much more cautious. My brother and I are the same size and have virtually the same voice and similar looks---at least to a duck: I could sometimes pick the duck up, but it had to be a surprise pickup, as he only let my brother close. One day I walked up to him while talking, put my hand down to the ground, and Beasley walked right onto my palm to be picked up. Only when I had him at chest level did he realize it wasn't his master, and did he want down fast! It was quite an awesome thing to see, and funny as all get-out.

Here is a picture my brother took of Hunter and Beasley, running together. You can see the joy in Hunter, and Beasley sure looks to be enjoying himself, too.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5817/hunterbeasley6yx.jpg

Here is another of my son, John, trying to sneak up on Beasley. John was about two and really wanted to catch (or catch up to) Beasley. Needless to say, it didn't work. The decoy was to keep Beasley company at night. This really works, believe it or not. Another thing that works is a mirror, if you can believe it.
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/645/beasleyjohn2zk.jpg

Here is another of my son, John, Beasley, and brother Hugh:
http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1972/hughiebeasleyjohn3ru.jpg

Between my brother and me, we took a good number of rolls of film showing Beasley and Hunter in different configuations of friendship. Two of my brothers pics have been published in magazines, and two in calendars.

Both animals are dead now. Poor Beasley went into hiding one day, and stayed in the bushes. Hugh didn't think much about it, as he was often in the wooded area when he or Hunter were not around. A day passed and Beasley still wouldn't come out. Hughie then knew something was wrong. He went into the bushes (the same as the picture with John) and found him injured. Some idiot had shot him in the head with a paint ball, and he had a cut. Hugh called the vet right away and took him in, but the cut had already become infected, and Beasley had to be put down. I'll tell you, we never found out who shot him, and it is lucky we didn't. That duck really had become a part of the family, and was a member of our family for about 5 years. During parties he'd waddle all around in and out of everybody, but always just a tad out of reach. What a smart little guy he was. Hunter, it goes without saying, was a fantastic dog. You can tell by the pictures what kind of a dog he was.

Sorry for posting such a long post, but I just had to share my duck story!
Andrew
'05 4001C64, Fireglo
'03 4003, Jetglo
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

I like long posts! My only other duck story was when I was little.. I was feeding the ducks and got bit. I freaked out and they started chasing me. i was terrified.. but my family was laughing their asses off.

I love the pet duck story... it's just so heartwarming. Cute kid too!
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Great story, Andrew... and pics too. I love that sort of stuff! Have you contacted Disney? Sorta like Milo and Otis...........
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

HAHAHAHAH! Milo and Otis! I LOVE THAT MOVIE! I used to watch it every day when I was little... it's so cute!
1976 Rickenbacker 4001

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”