What's your favorite song from Folk Den Project?

Those who flock to The Byrds
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

What's your favorite song from Folk Den Project?

Post by loverickbass »

I really like "Follow the Drinking Gourd" and "Lost Jimmy Whelan". "Pretty Saro" is beautiful too. I'd like to hear some acoustic versions of the classic Byrds tunes in the future.

Cole
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

"Drinking Gourd" is also one of my favorites.
Partly because it is so easy even I can play it.
BTW, I recently heard Jorma do a very interesting instrumental version of FtDG (back in '87).

There are sometimes McGuinn shows on 'Dime' where he does Byrd tunes on acoustic. They sound great.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Yup I know, he did an acoustic version of 8mh that was awsome on the last show I went to.

Cole
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Agree. Even better than some of the old shows on ‘Dime.’
Saw him at The Barns (Wolf Trap) last year.
The solo break in 8MH was phenomenal.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

I think that McGuinn is at the top of his game right now. He's a better musician now than he ever was with the Byrds IMO. I always think; is this what the Byrds would sound like today? I wonder...it's fun to imagine.

Cole
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Oh, I almost forgot, "Silver Dagger" is just lovely! I thought Joan did a good job but dang, Roger nailed that song!And the RIC on that tune!

Cole
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Don't remember that one.
Will have to go back and give a listen.

You play bass too?
I've always wanted to try a 4005, just because of the look.
But at the going rate I'll never get my hands on one.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Yup, I started out on bass and now I'm almost all guitar. The bass is in the closet and will be for some time I'm afraid. All thanks to Roger McGuinn I mite add.

Yeah, the 4005's are very nice! I'm like you, I will never have one unless RIC starts making reissues.

Cole
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

I think that McGuinn is at the top of his game right now. He's a better musician now than he ever was with the Byrds IMO. I always think; is this what the Byrds would sound like today? I wonder...it's fun to imagine.
Cole, I agree completely. The breadth of the Folk Den Box Set alone is somewhat staggering. Add to that 2004's Limited Edition—this seems to be one of the most creative and productive periods of Roger's career. It even surpasses the Untitled era when he wrote all those wonderful songs with the late Jacques Levy.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

I won't bore you with my life story. And I hate to name drop. But I had never TOUCHED a guitar in my life. Two and a half years ago, I asked Jack Casady what is the best thing I could do to become a better bass player. He said, "Learn to play guitar." So I am.
My bass has to come out of the closet because I play bass in my band. But on my own and with my teacher, I'd say it's 90/10 guitar to bass. And of that, I'd say it's 80/20 12-string to six-string.
And! The band has let me play guitar. We did American Girl in public for the first time last month. (Also working on TTT and R&R Star.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

I agree Mark, playing guitar has been the best thing I've ever done for my bass playing! I feel like I'm more rounded musician now. I only wish more guitar players would pick up the bass and do the same.

Steve, it's a shame that these tunes will never be heard by anyone other than McGuinn fans. I think some of the tunes would be quite popular with the general public.

Cole
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Cole, there's a possibility that Roger's new work may find a larger, younger audience. My wife is the PR director for the National Association for Music Education (MENC), and they're considering (very preliminary) some kind of co-op program where Roger's Folk Den box set would be used as an educational tool.
Actually, I probably shouldn't be running my yap about this. lol!
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

That would be great news Steve. Maybe one day you'll be reading about the great Folk revival of 2006.

Cole
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Oh yeah, Cole, absolutely.
What Jack said he meant was for me to play guitar (or piano) in order to learn chord structure and harmony better.
I’m not ready for my PhD in Music Theory quite yet but he was 100% right.
It has been a big help.
And the fun factor has increased 10,000%. Playing bass by oneself gets old fast. (That’s why I have the band.)
But even with my limited ability I can play (and sing) dozens of songs on guitar and amuse myself, family and friends.

By the way, in case you were not aware, Casady also started out playing guitar for several years before picking up the bass and still plays guitar occasionally.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Yeah, Jack's a unbelievable bass player. He plays it almost like a guitar with the chords and all. BTW, I had his signature model Epiphone a while back, very nice. I could make it sound like my 4003. Great value for the money.

Cole

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”