Hello everyone, I'm new here

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rekesbass

Hello everyone, I'm new here

Post by rekesbass »

great site!! I have a question about my 4001,well 1982 4001's actually. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find production totals for 1982's in walnut\brown sunburst..I'm asking because I never saw another 4001 like mine.everyone seems to have fireglo and mine has no red in it at all,it's definitely brown..is this color somewhat rare? also has anyone tried bybassing ALL controlls on their Ric's?..pickups straight to output jack.(or a "all controlls bypass" switch).I've heard of other people doing this mod to other basses(with great results) but never on a Ric..imagine how hot the pup's would be then..I would think the tone would really open up...any thoughts?...BTW,Peter, thanks for fixing my problem...this is a really great site loaded with useful and intresting info..and the fact that Mr. John Hall himself posts here just blows me away..talk about inside information..again great site!!
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Hi Patrick,
Welcome aboard.
Is your 4001 in the same finish as this 4001 Autumnglo or something else?
Yes I think there are not as many Autumnglos around as Fireglos, Jetglos and Mapleglos.
As for the production quantity, I believe some of our more learned friends here can shed some light for you.

Enjoy!
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I believe you have what is called Autumglo ... it is one of the less common finishes ... the most common would be fireglo, mapleglo and jetglo ... or in layman's terms red sunburst, natural and black ....

Also from that year you could have a 4003 ... is the pickguard one piece or two? the first few years of the 4003 had two piece pick guards ...

I have a fireglo, white, and midnite blue ... I sold my 2 mapleglo's

Enjoy your Ric ... now you can start sounding like Geddy and Chris .... cool tone!!!!
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Greetings, Patrick. Check this out:

http://www.rumbleseatmusic.com/pix/80rickautumnglo.jpg

I believe the modification you suggest only boosts the output to a negligible degree. I don't think it's worth it - just my opinion.
The output of a bass guitar can be significantly boosted via 1) stronger magnets, 2) more effective (i.e. larger) polepieces, 3) overwound pickups (if you don't mind changing the sonic character of a pickup, that is). As for active electronics, I never cared for them, thank you.
Rick on!
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

The best way to make your bass hotter is to use the new Ric pickups ... about 1990 Rickenbacker went to hotter pickups ... you can purchase these and install them ... they look basically the same but they are hotter ...

I did this to a 1970's 4001 and it sounded great ... actually it also sounded good with the '70s pickups as well ...

If you run without tone controls you loose a little treble bite ... I would not recommend changing the way your bass is wired ...

I agree with Sergio ... I am not a fan of active electronics ... I especially dislike those 9 volt batteries ...
rekesbass

Post by rekesbass »

Paul, no my bass does not look like that one,the edges are a darker brown(altough that bass is beautiful)...Jeff, my bass is a 4001(VF1700/June82 one piece pickguard)it even says model 4001 on truss rod cover..according to the book by Richard Smith(I call it my Rickenbible)autumglo was not available the standard colors were fireglo,burgandy,jetglo and auzerglo. the custom glossy finishes were ruby,walnut,mapleglo,and white.the matte finishes were,natural,black,and brown...btw I've been a Ric owner since 1985. my first was a 4008 8 string. then came my 4001 in 86(my current one)and I had a jetglo 4001fl..I bought all of my Ric's brand new..I sold the 8string and fretless some years ago.the fretless I don't miss so much but,the 8string I really miss.I sold it in 89 and been kicking myself ever since.my 4001 is the only one I have left,it was my main bass from the time I got it(1986) till about 5 years ago. it's seen two bands worth of action at the same time,giging approx. 4 times a week...a real road warrior in need of a re-fret job and a little finish work(couple of very small spots on the front and the back is knarled pretty good but only finish damage)it's been in semi-retirement for a few years(I need a good RIC luthier,anyone??),I will never part with it..especially if it's a rare color),Rics are the most distinctive looking and sounding instruments on the planet...and because of Geddy and Chris, Ric's are the only basses I ever wanted(until a few years ago) and my love of these fine instruments has come back,big time..I've tested other waters and it seems like everything is coming full circle..I can't wait to see the new 5string..
rekesbass

Post by rekesbass »

I did'nt want to make my bass hotter(it's hot enough)I was just wondering if anyone has tried this mod...the only mod I've done is the third cap bypass surgurey on the treble(bridge)pup.the cap is still there,it's just bypassed with a piece of wire.I would never do any irreverseible mods to my bass..about the only thing I would do is get another pickguard and truss rod cover in black or chrome to change the look whenever I felt like it and still be able to put it back all original.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

There are 2 or 3 different autumglo colors... I've seen some brownish and some orangeish and some satin and some glossy ....
rekesbass

Post by rekesbass »

OH! I forgot to say the binding on my bass appears to be cream colored opposed to the white pickguard and truss cover..is this a cause of fading? or did cream binding come on some instruments?...I've had the bass so long I really can't remember and I think my eyes may have adjusted with the bass as it faded..just wondering if I'm loosing my mind?....and why did'nt the pickguard and truss cover fade too??
corey

Post by corey »

I'd guess that is just the binding "yellowing" a bit as your bass is 21 years old. This is common, I believe.
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Wow Patrick, a 4008!
That's so rare. I have seen pictures of 4003S/8 basses, but never a 4008. Ah, you shouldn't have let it go.
rekesbass

Post by rekesbass »

yes, I know Paul..at the time I was buyin a truck and I needed the money...I get misty eyed every time I think about that chimey thunderous sound that the 8string delivered...hindsight is always 20\20....so I guess the search is on!!
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

I wish you good luck finding and getting it back.
davecondra

Post by davecondra »

Here's an e-bay item that looks like the'old' autumnglo. '78 Autumnglo?
The edges are darker than fireglo. Some basses described as autumnglo look like walnut (brown fading to light brown). Some look like faded fireglo. I guess only RIC knows for sure.
There are some good photos in the Rittor book: page 34, and a color chart on pages 174-75 (as well as others). On page 110 of the Smith book is a shot of Rick Nelson holding an acoustic that looks like autumnglo. Some of the trade show photos apparently have autumnglos (even though they are not identified).
I've seen some walnut 4001's but never an 'old style' autumn. Maybe at the upcoming Nashville guitar show....
banta
Veteran RRF member

Post by banta »

Paul said, "I have seen pictures of 4003S/8 basses, but never a 4008."

That's because there is no such thing as a 4008.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”