McGuinn 7-String Conversion

Those who flock to The Byrds
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

A few weeks ago, I got a pretty good deal on a HD-7 (required me to sell one of my 360-12CMs, but I had two). The HD-7 is simply beautiful, and the D-45 styled headstock is the first Martin of that type I've ever owned.

I don't think the guitar is a substitute for a 12-string, but I must admit that when I try going back to a straight 6-string acoustic, I really miss the extra boost and chime you get with the 7th string (octave G). It's not just a gimmick, imo. I love this guitar and have played it every day since I got it.
steambyrd

Post by steambyrd »

Steve,
Is your HD-7 strictly acoustic, or does it have the optional electronics/pickup? If so, are you running it through your Janglebox?
"I've got blisters on my fingers!"
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Jim, my HD-7 does not have the optional electronics, but I think I'm going to have them installed. Roger uses the Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend, which isn't cheap, but apparently doesn't require any drilling. Martin Guitars strongly urges professional (i.e. Martin) installation.

Yes, I would definitely run it through my JB. I play both my 6- and 12-string Taylors through the JB to boost the higher strings and even out the tone.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

It's more than "strongly urges" isn't it.
Martin's web site, as I recall, says authorized Martin service places only, with a link to finding them.
And something about voiding the lifetime Martin warranty is one doesn't follow the rules.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Curious, if no drilling is needed, what is the difficulty of adding the Fishman? I've been tinkering with idea of putting one on on of my Martin's, but haven't for this very reason. I live nowhere near an authorized service location.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Mark: I couldn't find where it said the warranty would be voided, but that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Stan: good question! lol.

Fishman pickup info at Martin
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

Considering Martin won't let you install a strap button without voiding the warranty, it stands to reason they won't allow electronics installations.
Martin warranty
Now that I think about it, the interior bracing is probably affected by the Fishman installation, which would make it a bit tricky.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

I see what you're talking about, Steve, when you take a gander into the soundhole. The bracing would come into play.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Steve, it's very possible my memory was mixing apples and oranges.

I know I remember seeing this:

http://www.mguitar.com/services/repair.html

Which states, in part:

"In order to take advantage of your warranty coverage, you must take the instrument ... to an authorized warranty service center."

So, it does say that any repair work has to be done at an authorized place. Which makes sense.

And I also remember that I was considering once purchasing a Thinline 332 pickup for my Martin 12. And I called Martin on the phone. And it's probable that I searched their web site for an authorized center though it probably wasn't required.
Sorry for the confusion.

By the way, Martin has changed its home page.
http://www.mguitar.com/
It now rotates among different artists (David Bromberg, Buddy Guy, Nancy Wilson, etc.).
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

And I also remember that I was considering once purchasing a Thinline 332 pickup for my Martin 12.
Mark, did you pursue contacting any local authorized Martin repair place in VA? I plan on calling Acoustic Axis Instruments in Alexandria, but I know nothing about them. Have you heard of them?
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Steve, if I had bought the 332, I would have gone to AA in Alexandria. But I wound up getting the Fishman humbucker that fits in the sound hole instead. (Which I regret a little bit and may sell.) So, I only know them the same way as you, for being listed as the local Martin place.

Only local techs I know, I'm sure are the same you know - Music Technology (take forever) and Action Music.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: McGuinn 7-String Conversion

Post by jdogric12 »

Reviving a very old thread... I found a cheap Epi PR150 on local CL and added a 7th tuner. The guitar is garbage, so I never play it, since the action is really high, but the concept works!

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”