Roy Orbison on Ed Sullivan w/ Ricenbacker bass

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jaybic

Post by jaybic »

Wints - that is exactly what I thought when I saw that photo. How big is that bass OR How small is that guy?
teeder

Post by teeder »

That's one of those rare 40 inch scale basses Rickenbacker made in the early 60's!
or he's 5'3".
There Is What You Can See. There Aren’t What You Don’t See. And That’s All There Is That You Get!
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

"Once, just once in my so-called musical career I want to be on a stage whose set design concept is giant stereo components with each band member standing on a big box with some baloney-sliced doweling used as the fake knobs glued to the front. That's all I'm asking. Once."

I would be happy just to have an 18" high stonehenge ...
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

It's live. Sullivan was adamant at that time about having bands play live. You can see this when The Beatles played "Help" and John forgot the words. In later years I think he allowed bands to lip sync.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah you guys are right it is live and really good too. It had been three years since I had heard it.
espidog

Post by espidog »

Quoting Alanz: "Once, just once in my so-called musical career I want to be on a stage whose set design concept is giant stereo components with each band member standing on a big box with some baloney-sliced doweling used as the fake knobs glued to the front. That's all I'm asking. Once."

No, man.. Those are REAL amps. Not many people know this, but Roy Orbison and his band were very...VERY...small.

Gorgeous Ric, though - and don't he look cool playing it? Interesting thumb/finger picking style, too. I wish I could get my 4003 to sit at that angle: I guess it's the thicker neck and dual truss-rods that are to blame on that score.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
rictified

Re: Roy Orbison on Ed Sullivan w/ Ricenbacker bass

Post by rictified »

To correct an old error, when I saw the above clip in Lima Peru 10 years ago someone dubbed the recorded version into the video. I never heard the live version that goes with the video until today, yes quite a difference, you guys must have thought I was nuts.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

rictified wrote:To correct an old error, when I saw the above clip in Lima Peru 10 years ago someone dubbed the recorded version into the video. I never heard the live version that goes with the video until today, yes quite a difference, you guys must have thought I was nuts.
Well I for one am glad to finally get closure. :lol:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

sloop_john_b wrote:
rictified wrote:To correct an old error, when I saw the above clip in Lima Peru 10 years ago someone dubbed the recorded version into the video. I never heard the live version that goes with the video until today, yes quite a difference, you guys must have thought I was nuts.
I can live again! Food tastes better, air smells sweeter!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:
sloop_john_b wrote:
I can live again! Food tastes better, air smells sweeter!
Just wait until after November 8th, Jdog! Then let us know how sweet the air smells.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

jps wrote: Just wait until after November 8th, Jdog! Then let us know how sweet the air smells.
Yeah, I avoid all that. Somehow! :shock:

J DOG in 2016
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Funny, that's how I wear my 4002 bass.

OK. I live in the Springfield, Missouri metro area. In the early 2000's I played with a band that got good gigs in the area because the drummer had Branson strip connections. We got a Valentine's Day gig at Remington's, a huge cowboy bar of the time, trying to model itself on Gilley's. We were told we would have special guests and be ready for anything. I was playing lead guitar at the time in this band. Bill Dees showed up. Nobody but me knew the song!!! I handed him my Epi Alley Kat, since it was a semi-hollow that he would be used to. The second guitar player was clueless, so I said gimme your Strat. The bass player knew just enough to not embarrass himself. So with that all switched around, I played all the backup guitar parts like the record after telling the band the bridge chords. Yes, I got to play a packed large cowboy bar with the co-author of the song playing the correct riffs and bridge, to a huge ovation. Ah, memories!

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”