Help me ID this old Rickenbacker (?) amp PLEASE!

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mickrhodes

Help me ID this old Rickenbacker (?) amp PLEASE!

Post by mickrhodes »

The guy I bought this from told me it was a Rickenbacker, but I'm not so sure. It has a 1953 Jensen P12R that looks original, 2 6v6s, the control plate has two interactive volume knobs and one tone knob (all chickenhead), a fuse, a light and a switch. It sure sounds great, but I'm just curious as to its origins.

mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

And here's a back view.

jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

How about a closeup pic of the controls?
mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

Here ya go John.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike: If you email large photos to peter@rickresource.com I will post them larger, with the use of a compression program, so that we can see them.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Photos of Mike Rhodes Honey Pie.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

Thanks Peter. I hope somebody out there can help ... And Honey Pie is a great nickname for this amp! I think I'll steal it!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

This doesn't look like any Rick amp I have ever seen. My best guess - based on overall appearance and in particular handle and backpanel layout - is that it's some kind of Gretsch or Gibson off-brand. [See the Japanese book "The Amplifier" by RittorMusic, pp. 45, 48 + 49.]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree Ron, but haven't been able to ID this one yet.

mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

Thanks Ron. I'll try and find that book!
mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

I just had a eureka moment! On the advice of another stumped amp expert, I cleaned the control panel with alcohol and viola, just barely visible if a take it outside in the sunlight and tilt it a certain way, in script lettering, is "Rickenbacker" !!! It's located on the left side toward the front end (the lettering is upside down when viewed from the front), and just below and to the left of it is another word, again in the same script, that begins with "E" and looks like it may say "Electra"??!? Anybody out there have any ideas? Thanks in advance ...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike: That would probably be "Electro". I believe that Rickenbacker made an Electro line of amplifiers in the early to mid 1950s. John Hall will have to sort this out for us. An example of one Electro model made by Rickenbacker around 1954 is here.

mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

Thanks Peter ... I'll await John Hall's input.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

It doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with. It's certainly not the styling we used anytime from the 1950's on forward.

There's also an ad that we did a little more than 20 years ago that had photos of amps all the way back to the first in 1931 and it doesn't look like any of those either.

But I guess it could have been a private label model of some kind that I'm not aware of.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”