Help me ID this old Rickenbacker (?) amp PLEASE!

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

Wow. Well, maybe it's a Rickenbacker chassis mounted into a non-Rick cabinet ... but looking at it from the back with the panel off, the cabinet construction and bracing is the same as some of the other early 50s Rickenbacker amps I've seen. Maybe I'll just accept that it's a freak of nature and move on! Thanks everybody for your help. I'm going to tell everyone it's a '53 Rick Electro and move on with my life!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike: Sorry you are stuck with this amplifier until you can ID it with certainty. This is now your quest. I consider that it has a number of features that are consistent with the early Gibson amplifiers. LOL
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

Yeah, I thought it looked like a Gibson too but the da#% thing says Rickenbacker!!! Oh well, it sounds great and looks cool and that's all that matters anyhow ... Thanks again to everybody that contributed to my confusion!
jzu

Post by jzu »

Hey Mike, I've got news for you!

This is a Rickenbacker amplifier after all... I was (once more) looking for data in Rick catalogs, and stumbled on this page. How could we miss it? I just don't know. The casing is different for sure, and the handle was so Gibson-ish it was simply too easy to get confused. The panel, however, tells it all.

So you are indeed the proud owner of a Rickenbacker M-12. Congratulations!
mickrhodes

Post by mickrhodes »

Wow Jean, thanks! That's the panel on mine for sure. I guess somebody must've mounted the chassis in another old cab of some kind. So, this is an M-12 and not an Electro, huh? Somewhere along the line I guess it got switched from a 2x12 Jensen P12R amp to a 1x12. Jeeze, this amp is a Frankenstein Deluxe! Anyhow, thanks Jean for taking the time to illuminate me as to its origins! BTW, my speaker is a 1953 P12R so I assumed the chassis was from the same year. Is the catalog page from 1953 or maybe 1954?!?
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Oops! Not so fast. Not all M-12's were 2-12; in fact most were 1-12. All Rickenbacker amplifiers from that era (that I've seen) are called Rickenbacker 'Electro' amplifiers as general trademarks regardless of model #. I'll take another look at your amp and see if I can come up with something definitive.
Show him the shirts, Adrian.
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Yeah........that's a weird one alright, but it's uncanny how the chassis fits so perfectly. There are lots of examples of offbeat Rick items that show up now & then, but were never in a catalog. I guess I'm not ready to dismiss it out of hand as a frankenstein.
Show him the shirts, Adrian.
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

Tracy-- How can I contact you by e-mail? Wanted to request some information concerning a Rick amp and the e-mail address listed on your Rickresource forum profile doesn't seem to be working.
jameshenry

Re: Help me ID this old Rickenbacker (?) amp PLEASE!

Post by jameshenry »

Was cleaning my garage out and lo and behold, I've found an old Rickenbacker amp that is identical to the one pictured here. Wish mine was in as good shape as the one you've pictured. Can no longer read the writing around the dials and the word Rickenbacker is barely visible but it's there enough to see. No schematic inside but that could be because someone somewhere along the line replaced the back panel. Mine has 6K6 power tubes in it and was wondering if I replaced them with 6V6 and the appropriate rectifier if it would pump up the volume. The original speaker was there but fell apart when I removed it from the cabinet. Texas heat and time must have done a job on it. Does anyone know where I might find a schematic for this "Honey Pie"? the only speaker I had to hook up was an older JBL E120 and it sounds great up to about 1/2 volume then the breakup starts. I'm looking for an old replacement speaker now. Would just love to see a manual or brochure on this old thing. My dad had purchased it along with an old frying pan lap steel back in the mid 60's. Not sure if was originally sold paired up with this amp or not. Anybody out there have any additional info?

Cheers!
Fundles

Re: Help me ID this old Rickenbacker (?) amp PLEASE!

Post by Fundles »

Wondering if anyone from this thread is still around as I too, seemed to have come across a "Honey Pie" amp.

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”