The Suzi Arden Show

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

k43rover
Intermediate Member

Re: The Suzi Arden Show

Post by k43rover »

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Scott. What an interesting back story for the first Rickenbacker 12 string that we've been discussing on the new thread.

As a latecomer to this forum no doubt there are plenty more historical threads like this that I've yet to discover and enjoy. :D

I notice that Carole's last post was way back in 2007 and there have been no updates here from her on Suzi, but I found a whole bunch of recent youtube posts which show Suzi going strong and appear to have been posted by Carole herself. Here are a couple of links including some great footage of Suzi being inducted into a local Hall of Fame just last month!! What a trooper she is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgGAIsBwZyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhqVSTXW ... re=related
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

This thread is the hallmark of this forum IMO. When you take a stroll from start to finish you realise just how it works when people gather together to freely share what they know about the artists that played Rickenbacker instruments and also freely share their knowledge of the history of the instruments themselves.

Now we know that Suzi's instrument is returning to the USA and being that it is the first of its kind ever made, I am hopeful that's where it will remain.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
greg_feo

Post by greg_feo »

A good read.
paul_yan wrote:Indeed.
I've just found out from the Registration Page that the guitar belongs to the collection of Mr. Oyama Katsuyuki now.
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mccorp/raritiesarden.html

Interestingly, Suzi's 360/12 was first equipped with a trapeze tailpiece when made in 1963 but was changed by RIC to an "R" in 1964.

Before:
(Image scanned from the R. Smith book)

After:
(Image courtesy of the Registration Page)
greg_feo

Post by greg_feo »

What fretboard is on the :arrow: Arden guitar ? Rosewood or ...?
Last edited by greg_feo on Sat May 19, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Jahn

Post by Jahn »

Due to the recent hoohah, I took it upon myself to do some reading on Suzi Arden and it lead me to this thread. WOW, what a read! Some really wonderful stories here, thanks to everyone for sharing them for posterity!

Oh and by the way - rockin' pic!

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

:(
stsang

Post by stsang »

Jahn wrote:Due to the recent hoohah, I took it upon myself to do some reading on Suzi Arden and it lead me to this thread. WOW, what a read! Some really wonderful stories here, thanks to everyone for sharing them for posterity!

Oh and by the way - rockin' pic!

What a great photo of Suzi Arden and her 12-string Rickenbacker! Unfortunately, it now looks more like my 2010 360/12c63 (as seen in my avatar image). :cry:
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
Jahn

Post by Jahn »

Well at least while it was owned by a Japanese collector, this guitar was captured in photos for a book - so the memories are well captured for posterity:

Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

^
I love the shape of the body, the curves, the horns. It looks fantastic, I wish Rickenbacker haden't changed it.
stsang

Post by stsang »

Interestingly in this image posted earlier (which is probably quite a few years old) you can see that the lower pickguard (where the controls are mounted) has two huge cracks radiating from the pickup selector. One of the things I found fascinating about this guitar is that even though it was made just a few months before George Harrison's 12-string, it is styled more like a late-50s Capri than a 60s guitar.
greg_feo wrote:Image
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

stsang wrote:One of the things I found fascinating about this guitar is that even though it was made just a few months before George Harrison's 12-string, it is styled more like a late-50s Capri than a 60s guitar.
greg_feo wrote:Image
All the more reason attempting to make the guitar "look like George's" is complete idiocy!
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Well, I just read everyone saying they spent an hour or two reading or re-reading this thread and I thought, "It can't be THAT interesting". So, one hour later here I sit with a big smile on my face. Great stuff. More plots and twists than a Sherlock Holmes novel. :shock:

And I am also smiling as I can't believe my luck. See below my 1995 Lincoln Mercury Marquis. Please ship Paul Weller's 330 to Guam. Thank you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merc.jpg
Keef

Post by Keef »

Wow, what a fascinating read!
Did anyone ever get Suzi to sign their pick guard?
collin

Post by collin »

Keef wrote:Wow, what a fascinating read!
Did anyone ever get Suzi to sign their pick guard?

I did....but I later modified it to look like George Harrison's signature. ;)

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”