The Suzi Arden Show

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Keef

Re: The Suzi Arden Show

Post by Keef »

For what it's worth, I think she should have her own model as well.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

A limited run 360/12SA would be simple enough: A 360/12c63, with an R tailpiece, gold plastic bits, and oven knobs.
brian_l

Post by brian_l »

sloop_john_b wrote:A limited run 360/12SA would be simple enough: A 360/12c63, with an R tailpiece, gold plastic bits, and oven knobs.
Don't forget the reverse octave stringing!
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Rather see it with a Trapeze IMO. The "R" was changed out pretty quickly, and by the factory.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Grey wrote:Rather see it with a Trapeze IMO. The "R" was changed out pretty quickly, and by the factory.
What do you mean? It had the R for pretty much its whole life.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

sloop_john_b wrote:
Grey wrote:Rather see it with a Trapeze IMO. The "R" was changed out pretty quickly, and by the factory.
What do you mean? It had the R for pretty much its whole life.
I'm dumb, it's the other way 'round. Personal preference for the Trapeze getting in the way of common sense. :oops:
stsang

Post by stsang »

Count me in for an advance order for the 360/12SA! :D
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
collin

Post by collin »

Keef wrote:For what it's worth, I think she should have her own model as well.
Not sure that a relatively unknown Country Western Swing artist popular 35 years ago should have a "signature" model (popularity strength of the artist being the factor for selling guitars...). No disrespect intended, Suzi is great etc.

However, as the historical first Rick 12-string , a spec reissue of this guitar would be well-deserved, without the current butchery nonsense, thankyouverymuch. ;)
stsang

Post by stsang »

collin wrote:Not sure that a relatively unknown Country Western Swing artist popular 35 years ago should have a "signature" model (popularity strength of the artist being the factor for selling guitars...). No disrespect intended, Suzi is great etc.
I guess this point is that Suzi Arden is probably as significant to Rickenbacker as Mary Kaye is to Fender. I wasn't there at the time, but from everything I read, Suzi's show was very popular in Vegas as was Mary Kaye. So I see no reason why RIC couldn't issue a Suzi Arden special. If RIC had a limited edition 500 run, I predict it will sell out quickly. 8)

From the Fender site: Mary Kaye, 1923-2007
http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?di ... rticle=168
2010 360/12c63 FG
2002 360/12 MG (mod with 7.4K scatterwound toasters, push/pull switch for 0.0047uF bridge cap)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

stsang wrote: I guess this point is that Suzi Arden is probably as significant to Rickenbacker as Mary Kaye is to Fender. I wasn't there at the time, but from everything I read, Suzi's show was very popular in Vegas as was Mary Kaye. So I see no reason why RIC couldn't issue a Suzi Arden special. If RIC had a limited edition 500 run, I predict it will sell out quickly. 8)
Right on - good comparison.

I noticed you already have a c63 - what are you waiting for? :D
stsang

Post by stsang »

sloop_john_b wrote:I noticed you already have a c63 - what are you waiting for? :D
You mean convert my George Harrison model to a Suzi Arden? :lol:
2010 360/12c63 FG
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I believe JH stated they had the opportunity to buy the actaul Arden guitar and passed it up, so i'd wager they arn't that interested in doing a Signature model of that guitar.
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

"I believe JH stated they had the opportunity to buy the actaul Arden guitar and passed it up"

Aye,and it would've been cheap at twice the price it went for,i still can't get my head around that decision!

That guitar belongs in the Ric museum.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

jch wrote:"I believe JH stated they had the opportunity to buy the actaul Arden guitar and passed it up"

Aye,and it would've been cheap at twice the price it went for,i still can't get my head around that decision!

That guitar belongs in the Ric museum.
Fully agree John.

Given that the key Beatle Rickenbackers are still owned by Paul and Ringo, or the family/estate of John and George, and are therefore unlikely to come onto the open market in the foreseeable future (if ever), then surely the Arden guitar must be one of the most significant, if not the most significant, guitar to RIC's history that has been available for purchase in recent years.

I think John mentioned in an earlier post that he had the opportunity to buy the Arden guitar years ago and for a much cheaper price than it sold for this year - but he passed it over even then. I assume RIC takes the view that their objective and focus is the manufacture and sale of new guitars, not spending money on creating/extending a museum in homage to their old product. While I could have understood an exception being made for the Arden guitar, I think that's an entirely understandable position to take from a business perspective.

Similarly in terms of an Arden reissue, frankly I can't imagine any meaningful level of demand exists for such a guitar which would come close to justifying even the limited effort/expense it would take to tool up for it. Given the recent comments on here about the factory not seeing other potential reissue lines being worth the effort (e.g. Rose Morris reissues which would be way more commercially viable in terms of potential demand), I think it'll be a cold day in Hell before an Arden reissue goes into production at RIC.

So.....I guess all you guys on here who are lustin' after one of Suzi's finest need to grab yourselves a suitably beat up C63 and get yer screwdrivers out... :wink:
stsang

Post by stsang »

k43rover wrote:I think it'll be a cold day in Hell before an Arden reissue goes into production at RIC.
Realistically, yes.
k43rover wrote:So.....I guess all you guys on here who are lustin' after one of Suzi's finest need to grab yourselves a suitably beat up C63 and get yer screwdrivers out... :wink:
:lol: Now where can I get me a gold TRC...
2010 360/12c63 FG

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”