johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: PRIMER ON THE CARE AND FEEDING OF RICK FINISHES

Post by johnallg »

Great info.
Dave Scantland

Post by Dave Scantland »

I'll be starting this project in the next day or so. Would it be helpful for peeps if I posted step-by-step photos of the Scratch-X/Zymol procedure from start to finish? (Maybe such a thing already exists here, but I haven't found it.)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Sure, we always like pictures, especially ones that tell a story, or show how to do stuff... :D
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Dave Scantland

Post by Dave Scantland »

. . . or, as may turn out to be the case, how not to do stuff . . .
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I want to bump this up to the top for the numerous newer members who may not have seen it back in 2006-2010!
8mileshigher

PRIMER ON THE CARE AND FEEDING OF RICK FINISHES

Post by 8mileshigher »

Paul, thanks for bumping this "Primer". It should serve the new members well.

I have a question related to an oil finish Rickenbacker (such as a 650 Dakota). Once wood has been oiled like this, and touched up over the years, can you ever really remove that oil from the wood, with sanding and paint remover chemicals, etc. if someone wanted to refinish such a guitar in a painted finish ?? Or is the situation that once a Dakota, its always that way for life ?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The oil does dry out over time. I would not paint (for instance) one of the Vermilion 650s due to color bleeding, but the Walnut and Maple 650s are fair game.

The walnut would have to be dry (not recently oiled) and I'd use conversion varnish as a sealer under color. The open pores should be filled first; I use a water-based microballoon sealer which can be bought at Stew-Mac or LMI.

Once the CV sealer is cured, it should be sanded flat and dull with #320. Solid color can be applied right over the CV, then additional coats of CV should be applied on top, flatted and buffed.

If the new color is a pearlescent or metallic, I use a polyester primer (Evercoat) over the sanded CV. I then wet sand the polyester primer with #600 before I apply color. Any scratches greater than #600 will show under pearls and metallics.
8mileshigher

PRIMER ON THE CARE AND FEEDING OF RICK FINISHES

Post by 8mileshigher »

jingle_jangle wrote:The oil does dry out over time. I would not paint (for instance) one of the Vermilion 650s due to color bleeding, but the Walnut and Maple 650s are fair game.

The walnut would have to be dry (not recently oiled) and I'd use conversion varnish as a sealer under color. The open pores should be filled first; I use a water-based microballoon sealer which can be bought at Stew-Mac or LMI.

Once the CV sealer is cured, it should be sanded flat and dull with #320. Solid color can be applied right over the CV, then additional coats of CV should be applied on top, flatted and buffed.

If the new color is a pearlescent or metallic, I use a polyester primer (Evercoat) over the sanded CV. I then wet sand the polyester primer with #600 before I apply color. Any scratches greater than #600 will show under pearls and metallics.
Thanks for the info, Paul ! I will keep these possibilities in mind, if I happen to come across a bargain priced Dakota one of these days ....
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Dave Scantland wrote:I'll be starting this project in the next day or so. Would it be helpful for peeps if I posted step-by-step photos of the Scratch-X/Zymol procedure from start to finish? (Maybe such a thing already exists here, but I haven't found it.)
That would be great, yes. :)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Bump! I just was perusing this thread,as I recently bought a 4004c,and found the recommendation for Watco's Danish oil. Does it matter much if the Watco's used is the CLEAR or the NATURAL varity? I found the natural in stock at my local Ace,but i would think i might want "clear"---?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

They are equivalent. Neither has any colorant. Perfect for your 4004.

I have some updates for this thread, for conversion varnish finishes and the newer UV-cured polyester finish, based upon some research that I've been doing the last 18 months. Stay tuned.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jingle_jangle wrote:They are equivalent. Neither has any colorant. Perfect for your 4004.

I have some updates for this thread, for conversion varnish finishes and the newer UV-cured polyester finish, based upon some research that I've been doing the last 18 months. Stay tuned.
Excellent,thanks for "clearing" that up! :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:Excellent,thanks for "clearing" that up! :wink:
Don't you mean, clearing that up, naturally? :mrgreen:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

jingle_jangle wrote:They are equivalent. Neither has any colorant. Perfect for your 4004.

Yay! Can't wait to hear the info on CV finishes generally, and the UV-cured in particular!

The `82 Ruby you refinished remains a stunner. :D
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

jingle_jangle wrote: I have some updates for this thread, for conversion varnish finishes and the newer UV-cured polyester finish, based upon some research that I've been doing the last 18 months. Stay tuned.
Tuned, and glad to know that you're on the problem.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”