Mandolin technique

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Mandolin technique

Post by jdogric12 »

So who here plays mandolin? I'd like to hear your thoughts on the technique and about any difficulty switching from guitar to mandolin and vice versa.
jeff_ulmer
Intermediate Member

Post by jeff_ulmer »

"Play" isn't what I'd call what I do with a mandolin (or octave mando), although I'm trying to learn my way around it (slowly). I find it not that different than playing a 360/12, trying to cram my fingers in there and hold those strings down, especially when barring. My technique is nontraditional due to lack of training, so I approach it from my own angle.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

I once tried my hand at mandolin. Boy, you think 360/12 necks are slim, try a mandolin. I didn't last two minutes on it. Strings were just way too close together.

Someday I'd like to try out a mandola.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Think of mandolin as an upside down bass or if you removed your high E and B strings and then played upside down.

Of course the string pitch is reversed.

A mandolin is a fretted violin.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Here's a great site for beginners.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/tuning.html
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Has anyone else tried playing the mandolin parts with their 12 string?
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

J, I kind of use it like a guitar. I learned as many chords as I could, and kind of just used it for accompaniment/textural purposes. Sometimes you just need something brighter and janglier than a Rick 12er!

I don't use much of the traditional "tremolo picking", Italian-folk music style of playing. Just kind of mess around on the thing, but to good affect.

You have REALLY got me wanting a 5002. I'm really considering taking the plunge...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

John, plunge??? Well, DUNK!!! I put money down on an AFG 5002 today. So we'll see how bad I can make this thing sound! It can't be worse than my banjo skillz. Or lack thereof.

Richard - I have often tried to play a RIC 12 like a mandolin, but the action is too low and I end up resting my right hand (your left!) on the bass strings between the pickups and scraping the pick against the fretboard.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

"A mandolin is a fretted violin."

So, Karl, is a violin a fretless mandolin? ha!
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

I started playing mandolin about four years ago (been playing bass for around 25). I really like it. The big revelation for me was tuning in 5ths. Having played guitar and bass for so long, to suddenly play an instrument in a different tuning just opened up whole new worlds melodically. In fact, I've retuned one of my basses to an octave below cello tuning: CGDA.

Of course, the string spacing is narrower, and those teensy little strings dig into your fingers at first if you're a bassist, but with such a small scale length you can really get around on single-note lines.

Oh, and if any of you folks that are getting a 5002 decide that you don't like it, let me know! I would love one of those - right now I've got a weird custom built 4-string and an Epiphone 8-string.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”