4001 V63 Horseshoe

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bottom4
Veteran RRF member

4001 V63 Horseshoe

Post by bottom4 »

Sergio, here are some PICS of the HS that came in my 1985 4001V63. I’ve heard some talk that the very early V‘s contain the original HS. Can you tell from these PICS? The shoes are magnetized (slightly) the pup has a strong output. I don’t have a technical reading. I purchased this bass new in ’85 to serve as a backup – was used more in the studio then live – sat in it’s case from 1990 to approximately 2000.

Interested to know your thoughts.

Cheers!

Andy

rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hi Andy. I've seen those very pics before. Yes, the horseshoes on the earlier re-issue HS pickups were indeed magnetized. On the later version the 'shoes are not magnetized, but they somehow help re-shape the magnetic flux from the polepieces thereby boosting output, I believe.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

Thanks Sergio! so,is it an original, or an identical original reissue, or ...?

Clearly different from the later reissues. Would one notice a difference in tone?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

No, it's not an original, it's a re-issue that's similar to the original in design and construction, unlike the later re-issues, as you point out. Yes, I believe there is a slight difference in tone, or at any rate in output to speak of: the coil on later re-issues has more windings, and the polepieces are larger.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
kbhag

Post by kbhag »

Concerning this vintage of a pickup is it safe to conclude that:

Both the shoes AND the pole pieces are magnetized?

Ken
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Negative. Only the 'shoes are magnetized on the pickup shown hereabove. The polepieces on it(short round slot-head screws) are magnetically conductive. Call it a "first version" re-issue HS pickup, if you like; the "second version" having non-magnetized 'shoes and magnetized polepieces. I believe the pickup bobbin on the 1st version to be similar to that on the 2nd version, except for the polepieces, of course.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

You can always tell the shoes that are magnitized because the shoes have the magnet sandwiched in between the chrome. At least that's the way it is on my Lollar.

Cole
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Real Rickenbacker magnetized shoes are not

loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Ummmm, horseshoe sandwich.....arhhhhhh

H.Simpson

Thanks for clearing that up.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Real shoes do this:
"The best things in life aren't things."
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Okay, I need a piece of information: what's the holding screw hole spacing on a re-issue horsesshoe bobbin? Meaning the distance center-to-center between the two holes for the screws that hold the pickup bobbin to the 'shoes. I think it's exactly the same as on a current treble high-gain. Only problem is, I don't have a modern plastic mount plate to check out said spacing. Thanks.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Andy's pickup is consistent with the later 60's horseshoe pickups. The bobbin looks like it is made of resin board plates. I agree Sergio, the screw poles would not be magnetized.
oyoyobeatle

Post by oyoyobeatle »

Can Anyone tell me the '84 Hoese-shoe's resistance?
Now I am trying to repair it but It is completely disconnect so I want to know any idea about it.
My 1964 horse shoe seems little high though.(Around 8k)
Hofner Rickenbacker Crazy in the Far east Island
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

"A little high"?? 8.0 K is neither high nor low. Go for that value, or even for 10.0 K. I recently built a re-issue-style HS pickup with a coil wound to exactly 10.0 K.
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

My 2000 V63 measured out @ 10.2K.
Sergio has just wound a new one for me @ 8.0K... I wanted it to balance out better with my toaster (@ 7.4K).
After I install it, with my '67 shoes, I'm hoping I will have found the sound I'm looking for!
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”