Songwriting Instruments

Putting music theory into practice
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I have once or twice started with the melody...no guitar, nor piano...just the melody. The last time that happened, I happened to be taking a walk. Then the trick is to remember the melody once I've gotten back home so I can write it down.

JimK
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

I played Trombone from the 6th grade into first year college jazz band. The Trombone is the most melodic bass brass instrument.

I hear bass grooves in my head all day long. It comes natural within my various writing styles.

I could write on a Diddleybo if that was all I had.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

That's the ticket, Karl. Use what ya got! :-)

JimK
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

I have once or twice started with the melody...no guitar, nor piano...just the melody. The last time that happened, I happened to be taking a walk. Then the trick is to remember the melody once I've gotten back home so I can write it down.

Some of my best songs were written when I was walking home in snowstorms half drunk. I'm sure it annoyed my room-mates when I would get home at 2am and go sit in the bathroom with my guitar for an hour or two.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Most of the time the "instrument" I compose on is the program Band in a Box. It can play any instrument much better than I can. And it can play more than one at a time.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I use a guitar or pianah, but many times melodies come to me when I am out walking or something, and I just work them out when I get home. Other times I will think of a clever lyric line and "hear" the melody that goes with it. Both usually start in my head (as opposed to other places!) and usually the music comes first.
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I, for one, have never written a song using a nose flute.

When I get over this cold, however...I just may try it out.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”