Open Sesame

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Open Sesame

Post by jdogric12 »

Let's talk about bass notes. Ten years ago a friend was taking beginner bass lessons. He said his instructor told him to avoid playing open strings. For example, if you want to play a D, play the A string on the fifth fret rather than just open D.

Any thoughts on this?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I was never taught specifically to do that - but I do it whenever I can.

I feel like I get a fatter, bassier tone, and I also feel like I have much more control over the notes - muting, duration, etc.
palmann

Post by palmann »

I second that. I also prefer not to use open strings for the same reasons.

Gruesse, Pablo
jaybic

Post by jaybic »

This is something I have often wondered about. I am a self-taught bass player. I almost exclusively try to use open strings. I cannot tell any difference in tone at all. However, I do notice that my fretting hand rarely moves when compared to other bassists I observe.
palmann

Post by palmann »

I have to add that I have very short fingers, so it's more comfortable for me to play near to the body from the 5th fret upwards.

Gruesse, Pablo
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I occasionally use open strings strictly for the effect of unfettered, albeit clean sustain. For the most part I do avoid using open strings though, because I believe that you have more control over the resonance of a fretted string.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
ram

Post by ram »

I use both open and not depending on the effect/sound I want and fingering involved.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Thankfully James Jamerson never had that advice.

'nuff said...
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

I like to use open strings a lot to get that nice pedal effect while adding another note (or notes) on higher strings.

It really depends on what sort of sound & effect you're after at the time.
Higher up on the neck on heavier strings= warmer tone.
The same note/chord played in different positions will always have different tone, that's one of the most basic characteristics to be aware of for playing any instrument.

It's like the pick/fingers debate: do whatever feels right to you at the time.
Plus five minus five!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That's a great assessment Kevin. I totally agree.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
icabod

Post by icabod »

It all depends on the tone you're looking for, an open string has it's tone, ring, and sustain versus a fretted note, and it's just how you use it to create your tone and to this old dog, it's your tone that counts.........R
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

It sounds like an interesting exercise to not use open strings, but it doesn't strike me as a very musical rule. Like many others have said already in this thread, it depends on a lot of factors.

Oh, and I thought of another thing - ideally, one should be able to control the open strings as well as you can the fretted equivalents, because if you can't, then you're kind of screwed if you need to play that low E...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Right, Harry, where would Chris Squire be without open strings?

(Please understand I say this not to his detriment, but as a compliment. Using the open strings, IMHO, better takes advantage of the instrument's capabilities. But for some styles, you need to stay away.)
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

Or even use a capo to make use of open strings in different keys.
If Sir Paul used a capo on bass, it's certainly a valid tool (never done it myself). It really doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Control & dynamics are the hallmark of the seasoned player, and something we all can aspire to improving in our own playing.
Plus five minus five!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I too agree you should be able to control an open string. Really no difference over the fretted notes, just timing.

I find I use the open for the tone and sustain I want also, dependant on the song. I also will use the next string up sometimes because the note sounds better - like Bb on the A 1st fret instead of on the E 6th fret.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”