Pedal Steel/Lap Steel

Putting music theory into practice
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Pedal Steel/Lap Steel

Post by sloop_john_b »

I've got a cheap lap steel as well as an Epiphone guitar with the action set way high, to simulate a lap steel (The epiphone actually does it a little better!). With a nice quality bar, some reverb, and an Ernie Ball volume pedal, I can get a pretty decent sound out of it.

But at heart, i'm just a wannabe pedal steel player.

I got to play one once, pretty recently - at a Guitar Center, believe it or not. It's a pretty intimidating instrument: 10 strings, three pedals, a few knee levers, and a volume pedal - all used almost simultaneously!

After 20 minutes or so, I was able to get a so/so sound out of the thing, and even started pulling off some really cool licks.

My next project with Dale is for him to install a B-bender on my battered Tele - y'know a facsimile for us lowly 6-stringers, and something for me to get by on. But ultimately, I want to learn pedal steel. I want a decent starter instrument, a book, some sheet music, some lessons if possible! Can anyone help? Are there any pedal steel players here?

I'll leave you with a really cool video from Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xslQCqlTdYA
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There is that RIC pedal steel right down the street from me, ya' know!
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

Pedal steel is definitely a difficult instrument to learn. It takes 5 years just to suck at it.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

John, like you, I’ve always been fascinated with the pedal steel. And thought maybe, maybe, someday…. But I know it’s never going to happen. Too many strings. Too many pedals. Too many levers. Etc.

By coincidence, I just saw one of the best pedal steel players – Buddy Cage – perform at the ranch. It was a fantastic, very loosie, concert.

Here are a couple of shots of Buddy in action:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/FirstBassman/FPR%202006-11%20Concert/P1010059.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/FirstBassman/FPR%202006-11%20Concert/P1010076.jpg
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Here's a site with some good info on slide..not pedal..maybe help with some licks etc
www.bigroadblues.com/slide
Reverb set to stun !!
nab

Post by nab »

I've always toyed with pedal steel idea (play slide and lap steel). Pedal to me is kinda like Organ except with strings instead of keys.

A few months ago saw an Austin City Limits re-run featuring a guy named Robert Randolph. Absolutely amazing player! If you closed your eyes, you could swear he was playing a cranked Strat at times! If you ever get the chance, worth checking out.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”