Tom Petty guitars and Byrd tones

Those who flock to The Byrds
anonymouse

Post by anonymouse »

I believe that FATRAT is referring to a 615 that had it's cresting wave trimmed down. it looked like a 350 then.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Yeah, you are probably right. I saw the part about 350 and thought of the custom Ric Campbell had made. There is a picture of Tom Petty playing the 615 in the Rickenbacker book.

Sorry for the confusion.
FATRAT_II

Post by FATRAT_II »

that fire story hurts...
I hope the guitar got out and didnt burn up....

FATRAT II
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did this guy ever use a certain Tom Petty signature guitar, a Rick 660 or something? Never seen him with that...
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Grant

Post by Grant »

This has always been somewhat of a weird thing to me. The 625 12 string is Mike Campbell's. The only assciation Tom Petty has with it is that he is holding it on the cover of Damn The Torpedos. I have heard that it was that album coverthat got a lot of people interested in Ric 12s (especially the solid bodies). I have also heard they had been dropped a few years prior to that and after that album came out the solid 12s came back.

I am a huge petty fan and the only time I have ever seen him with a solid body 12 was on the Into The Great Wide Open video he is playing his limited edition Ric. I have never seen him play it live and all the interviews I have never read says he plays his 360 12 in the studio for 12 string stuff.
Grant

Post by Grant »

My guess is Ric wanted to give him a limited edition and figured that was the one people associated with him.

The funny thing is that when I have mentioned the Petty limited edition to Petty fans they almost all think the 1997 reissue with gold pickguard that he has been playing on stage since around 1991 is his limited edition. I always direct them to the Ric page and tell them to check the picture of his Limited edition...then go check the picture of the 1997.

The 2 Rics that fans recognize as Tom's right away are the 360 12 and the 1997. I know McGuinn's is the 370 and the Pete Townsend is based on the 1998 (1997 with 3 pickups) so maybe they didn't want to use that style for Tom's. That plus the album cover. However in hindsight...they should have gone with the 1997 for Tom.

Sorry for this being in 2 parts, but I got a message that the originalpost was too long and had to be split up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Grant: If you register with the Forum you will not have this problem and you will be able to edit your posts as well.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
psantilla

Re: Tom Petty guitars and Byrd tones

Post by psantilla »

I was told by Howie (he owned Guitars R Us on Sunset Blvd) that he sold that guitar on the cover of Torpedoes---I think this was late 70's-- The "BARTH" was Paul Barth.He had a music store in Riveride late 60's-early 70's and a company named Bartell --

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”