Which one?

The history and music of the Fab Four
Vigierman

Which one?

Post by Vigierman »

Hi, I haven't got a Rickenbacker yet but am looking to get one within the next month. I want to get a sound like George's Hard Day's Night era, which Ric should I go for to achieve this? Also, I'm having some difficulty understanding the Ric color scheme. There's FireGlo, a light sunburst I belive, but there's also a much darker, almost woody, sunburst. Which finish is this? Thanks a lot.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

There is a phrase that I love that has been part of the catalog info since the mid 1970's.

"THe color may vary due to the finishing process."

This disclaimer is used because each person that learns the fireglo technique fans the spray gun differently,moves the gun around the guitar diferently.
Add the fact that the color gets mixed by the painter (and this can vary slightly) plus the suppliers of the color material vary from batch to batch and from their suppiers...this can change.
plus add in the fact that Fireglo has just plain changed over the years.
We come full circle back to the official disclaimer.
Now ...as to what color did you see....
You have no doubt seen photos of Georges 360-12 and it was a Reddish burst with a slight tint of brown to the red.
Then there is the original Autumn -glo and that was a faded orangey/brown burst.
Then the 1970's walnut burst in gloss
then the 1970's walnut-burst in satin that became the new Autumn-glo (?) this I get confused on.And I painted these at the factory.
The new fireglo that is in the stores at the moment does NOT resemble the fireglos of the past.The tints are different.And the application of them has changed (see disclaimer)
Ask the sales man if they stock a Ricky in fireglo,that is your best bet.
And check out the official website ,that may help in this mass of confusion.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Bottom line on Fireglos; If you find one You like,
BUY IT NOW! The next one[or 2 or 12] may turn you off.For many, the Only "Right" anything is the one you like.
Vigierman

Post by Vigierman »

Well. Thanks guys. I had no idea that this is the case. Oh well, I'll have to wait and see then. I'll proabably get a 360, any good?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes "good" would be an understatement, at least in my view. But don't take my word for it. Why not sift through a list of Artists that have selected the Rickenbacker 12 string (many have chosen the 360/12)to play in concert and record their music. Let me know what you think when you read the Rickenbacker 12-String Artists' List
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
paul_harbinson

Post by paul_harbinson »

360/12 Fireglo. BIG!
anon

Post by anon »

If you buy a 12 string, especially new, it will immediately need a good set up. I've purchased two new 330/12's and both looked great but played like **** until my luthier set up the bridge and more importantly the nut/string saddles.
Rick fireglo varies tremendously, so snatch the one you like. The new ones have little or no yellow in them giving a wood to pink to red look.
MrD

Post by MrD »

I have two Rickenbackers. A 330 FG/12 and 325v59 FG Hamburg. The current reissue 360v64 is the closest you will probally get to duplicating that "George's Hard Day's Night" sound. I have heard from several sources that the pickups on the new 360's are not wound the same way, so they may not sound quite the same (I can't tell the differance). A friend of mine actully had is pick wound tighter to match that sound. He also has a vintage 1965 Vox ac30. I think my 330 sounds the same as the guitar on "You Can't Do That". Plus it was $200.00 less then the 360v64.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”