Gretsch Filtertrons

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

red_rob
Intermediate Member

Gretsch Filtertrons

Post by red_rob »

Guys - Is there any difference between bridge and neck Filtertrons? I had the ones in my 6118 taken out and replaced with HiLoTrons - when the original Filtertrons came back to me in a box, they were labelled "Bridge" and "Neck" but I can't see any visual difference at all.

Just want to know in case I get them mixed up or want to sell them or put them back in some time in the future.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

There is a difference, but I haven't measured it or cut one open to see...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
red_rob
Intermediate Member

Post by red_rob »

Cheers Paul - I knew you'd know.

I suppose I'll just have to make damn sure I don't mix them up...
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Isn't there a string spacing difference? You may email TVJones and ask him as he is the Gretsch pickup expert. www.tvjones.com
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Well, I've only got one Gretsch here at my office, but the two FT pickups on it have the same pole spacing. But when I get home, I'll try again...the last thing I want to do is to try to call Tom Jones the week before NAMM!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

I know that the TV Jones Classic Plus Filtertron, which is in the bridge on the 6122-59[Paul and I both have these Great Gretsches,btw] Does have wider pole spacing. .Not sure, but I think the TV Classic[no "plus"] may be std spacing.Seems like that info is on TVs website if you read the copy on various PUs.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Last night, I brought one of my dial calipers home for this one...the handwound TV Jones HT Plus, at the bridge on my 6122-59, measures 2.000" between "E" poles.

It should be noted that this is a special "fingerpicking" guitar, with a wider neck and wider string spacing from nut to saddle, however.

The standard Gretsch FT at the bridge of my Setzer Hot Rod, measures the same as the neck FT: 1.940", or about 1/16" narrower than the HT Plus on the 6122-59.

All my other (6) FT-equipped Gretsches measure 1.940 "E" to "E". None have TV Jones FTs, though...they are all standard Gretsch issues.
― Kurt Vonnegut
red_rob
Intermediate Member

Post by red_rob »

Checked just now and my stock FTs are identical in dimensions - there is one difference however: One has a white wire for connection and the other has a black wire. Hopefully this is intentional and a means of identification!

Should they actually be different though? I mean different windings or magnets or whatever? Or could they quite conceivably be identical and it's merely their position which alters the sound?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Nope...the white or black wire is how you can tell without a meter, which is which. The one with the white wire is the bridge pickup.

Now, when I get to my office today, I'm going to put a meter on a pair and find out the difference once and for all!

Stay tuned...
― Kurt Vonnegut
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Well there is DC resistance which will tell you how much wire is on a pickup bobbin, but there are other things like inductance, AC resistance, capacitance, etc that need an Extech 380193 meter or equivilant to test. But the DCR would be nice to know. I'm guessing the stock ones are all under 5.5k.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”