Go to a concert; want to give up

Putting music theory into practice
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Once, my band booked a mini-tour that I knew I wouldn't be able to make, so they got a guy in to sub for me. He was the guy I had replaced & he was a way better guitarist then I was. Anyways, the tour fell through except for the opening show in our home town. I was able to attend that one last minute and none of the songs sounded right, even though he was playing the right chords & riffs. The bass player even said she was relieved that the whole thing was over. That was one of my most reaffirming experiences as a musician.
It's not about talent sometimes.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Hear, hear!!

...Dean
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

It's all about making your statement with the talent you have.
Plus five minus five!
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

Which is a talent in itself, I suppose.
Lemme graze into your veldt/ lemme stomple your albino/lemme nibble on your buds/ I'm your Love Rhino
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Yeah, I go through that also when I see a brilliant musician. It's kind of like why bother. I know we are all different and we all have our own style. But let's face it, Dr. J put the ball in the hoop a lot better than I EVER will no matter how much "style" I have.

As far as
Tommy Emmanuel has that "why bother" effect on me.

Tommy is at a whole other level all together. I just have to believe he is not human. That he is some guitar-playing wizard alien from another planet dropped into the middle of the outback some time ago.

I once went to a show where the opening act was Pete Hutlinger (another lightning fast picker). When the headline act came on stage, one of the musicians said he was going to go and "burn his guitar."
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

This morning I'm thinking of several times I've been to a concert and been so blown away by the musicianship or performance or whatever that I go home wondering why I would even try! For me, this feeling always fades after a day or two, but I still think it's a curious phenomenon. Anyone else experience this?

Yeah, of course. But then sometimes I go to concerts where I hear a particularly inspiring performance by somebody I truly admire (not envy) and think "Yeah, I could be doing that." And I go home and practice my heart out.

I had that feeling when I was a kid and saw "A Hard Days' Night." The Beatles looked like they were having fun. Having fun, singing, and playing guitars...yeah, that's what I want to do that when I grow up. The other night in the middle of a gig I realized I am doing that right now! Cool beans!

Jim

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”