The dual truss rod system

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

rmartino

The dual truss rod system

Post by rmartino »

I've entered the world of Rickenbackers by buying a 4001v63. I love the way it sounds. But the dual truss rod system doesn't seem to behave as I was hoping....I have a hard time getting equal relief on both sides of the neck (the bow under the high pitch strings always seems to be greater than the other side). I was thinking that by tightening the one rod under the high pitch strings, I'd be decreasing the bow on that side of the neck, but it seems to affect both sides. I've tried compensating by loosening the truss under the lower bass strings, but it's at the point where the nut will be too loose to be doing anything on that rod. Any thoughts on how these two rods interact?
Thanks,
Rob
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Rob,
I saw your posting on the Alt guitar Rickenbacker page but was waiting to see the official company response to it.I see you did not get the help that you were looking for.
So here is my opinion and not necessarrilly those of the factory.This is in no way inaccurate,just how I would handle this.
First off have you looked at my posting ...here in the Rick forum?
How not to adjust truss rods?
Did you go through my check list ?
No...well back up and go thru it first.You may have the answer there.
If this does not help then I will walk you through what to do.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
rmartino

Post by rmartino »

Hi Mark,
Yes I have seen your checklist, my problem seems to be right at step two when I check the neck...when holding down the strings at the 1st and last frets, the gap between string and frets on the higher pitched strings is noticably greater than on the lower pitched strings. So I'm curious about a recommended procedure for getting each rod adjusted correctly.
Thanks,
Rob
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

well first you have to use the check list.

tune to pitch,
if the rods are both loose ,and the treble side has more relief than the bass side ,you will need to concentrate on it.
Use a capo for this ,it makes it easier .
Or fret at the first fret and the last fret -both pressed down at the same time .
tighten the treble side rod till you get the minimum amount of relief that you want.
Check the E string.Does it have any relief?
No? loosen the treble rod till it does.
Yes? then tighten the bass rod to put some tension on it .

I'd leave the bass rod almost loose if need be.Not 100% ,just maybe a 1/4 turn .Just enough to not rattle.

Use the treble rod for your adjustments.This may take a little while to correct.
If this is still the same after 2 weeks...then you need to measure the amount of relief and post it.
At that point ,I can give you a blind honest assessment.
Keep me posted.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

worst case senario is................

torque the neck ,plane the fretboard with a complete refret and finish job.

Don't worry about that yet....there are some thing to do first
Jim_D

Post by Jim_D »

Is replacing the bass side truss rod on a 99-360/12v64 a difficult task? Never having done this I'm looking for feedback and instructions. I was considering doing this for the experience, and also to save a few bucks on this guitar. I did see a post expaining how to remove a rod, but I'm unable to locate it. Other than applying wax to the rod when installing, I don't remember seeing any other posts discussing this.
By the way, GREAT board!! I appreciate all the contributers that have posted here.
Thanks
Jim D

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”