Howie Epstein's Hollow Body "Ricken*aker"???

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

basse

Howie Epstein's Hollow Body "Ricken*aker"???

Post by basse »

Did anyone here end up with Howie Epstein's black hollow body bass that owed a huge nod to Rickenbacker?

http://topshelfguitarshop.com/EpsteinWeb%20folder/RicBass.html

Or one of the 2 Ric guitars?

Just wondering...
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Ask Russ Rubman.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

I\\'m surprised they were allowed to sell it.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Whoa, did Russ get it?!
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Amazing guitar. Wonderful detail. Possibly better quality and attention to detail than any RIC production-line product. BUT: Russ (and any of us too) must always acknowledge (publicly at all times) that the guitar was a non-commercial "gift" transaction, in which there was no commerce either contemplated or executed. He purchased a box, not a guitar. The guitar inside was a gift, not contingent on the sale of the box. No "value received" or "value exchanged". Otherwise it could serve to dilute the RIC trademark(s)and place John Hall into the icky area of having to do cease and desist letters to protect his mark in US commerce.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
basse

Post by basse »

If Russ got it then congrats!!! I was thinking that one of the Mikes would have been gunning for it.

I even bid on it myself because I liked it so much!

Thankfully, I did end up with the Wal MK1. So it looks like two from that collection have gone to forumites! Any more?
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Dave! I was drooling for the MK1! With all the buzz with the latest high re-sales of these I hope you got it within reason. Have you got it yet! Can't wait to hear....

John - don't know if Russ got it but I will email him.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
basse

Post by basse »

Thanks Mike, no I haven't seen it yet. In fact my payment is due to arrive there tomorrow so I'm hoping it will be here in Toronto by the end of next week. I am so pumped, I can't wait!!! And, it'll make a nice sibling for my ProIIe too!

Since it's an estate sale I'm not comfortable revealing the price but I have to say that it was reasonable.

I'll definitely post pics and a review in "the others" section here and in the Wal section at the Dudepit once it arrives. If there's anything in particular you'd like to know just send me a note!
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

Mike,

If I recall correctly I was chastised by the auction house rep over this bass. I have a vague memory of us talking about estate issues. He accused me of starting rumors. I found ironic that he accused me of starting rumors when he was guilty of trying to pass off a fake Rickenbacker. Now I know he corrected himself, but being in that business of sorts, don't you think some homework would have been done first?

Sure is a lovely bass though.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Something tells me that the "Buy a box and get a free bass" scam wont fly. One way or another, the box would not have sold without Howie's Fakenbacker inside. Then again, maybe some legal requirement was met so that JH can move on to more important things without risk to his trademarks.
prog_rockin_metal_man

Post by prog_rockin_metal_man »

"Something tells me that the "Buy a box and get a free bass" scam wont fly."

I think someone tried to pull that on ebay once but the auction got shut down just the same. They didn't even mention the word rickenbacker...all it said was "buy a case and get a free bass."

It is a rather interesting faker though, although the tailpeice is pretty damn ugly.It would be kind of neat if ric made something like this...I would definitely buy one.
"Rickenbacker!"( I shout it out whenever I spot one)
"Rickenbacker makes the best basses in the world!"
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Dane, the latter is what I meant to accomplish, that's all! Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
sashua

Post by sashua »

Though I put a low bid on that bizarro Rickesque bass it was actually the 1993 Reissue 12 string that I went hard for (they were calling it a 1998 mistakenly). I bid over $5K and I still believe that I was torpedoed by someone out there.

There's always a bigger fish somewhere, right?
"Silly Rabbit! Trix are for Kids"
dluxe

Post by dluxe »

This bass was discussed on another forum's Rickenbacker section. JH said:

"If it's made with genuine parts, how could we or why should we complain?"
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Link, Bob?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”