Tempo in a Praise Band

Putting music theory into practice
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

The guitarist actually moved closer to me. He is now closer to my speaker cab. Our lead guy was in between us. He can not only hear my bass better, but now that we read off the same stand, he can see my fretting hand out of the corner of his eye which also helps with tempo.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Question for those involved in religious-rock music. Is that Jackson Browne song from his first album "Rock Me on the Water" based around a religious theme or not ? Has anyone done this song in a church band context ?
Rich F.
"What we've got is Blind Faith in each other" Steve Winwood, Newsweek July 28 1969

10 4003 FG
06 WB BRG
04 660-12 JG
03 360-12 FG
99 V64 six FG
96 650-A TQ
94 V64-12 JG
81 370-WB JG
73 480 DaphBlue
61 Cons Steel MG
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Interesting question. I never thought about it. I always assumed that the song was not specifically religious at all.

Rock Me On the Water Judge for yourself.

JimK
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Check out some Glass Harp for some great rockin' religious songs.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

JimK ---- thanks for the lyrics on "Rock Me on the Water". I guess it was the references to Jesus, Gospel and "when my life is over and I stand before the Father" that made me think it was definitely religious. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure about the water, sea, wind, fire and walls burning references... in some contexts they would seem to revolve around Biblical themes and the repeated "Oh People" phrase makes me think of Prophets speaking to the masses, especially when speaking about "the signs are everywhere".

But then again, maybe I'm looking for deeper meaning in a good rock tune that is borderline religious ? Or perhaps I'm just interested in hearing the congregation sing a good Jackson Browne tune to keep things lively ? That's why I was wondering if any Forumites involved in church bands had ever tried this song out or thought it passed the litmus test.

I hope this inquiry is not considered off topic.
Regards - Rich F.
"What we've got is Blind Faith in each other" Steve Winwood, Newsweek July 28 1969

10 4003 FG
06 WB BRG
04 660-12 JG
03 360-12 FG
99 V64 six FG
96 650-A TQ
94 V64-12 JG
81 370-WB JG
73 480 DaphBlue
61 Cons Steel MG
wayang

Post by wayang »

Um, "religious rock music"...unless by "religious" you mean strictly judeo-christian, there's a lot of music that belongs in this category. "The Inner Mounting Flame" by Mahavishnu Orchestra and "Tales From Topographic Oceans" by Yes leap to mind.

In the 'rock about christianity' category, I would definitely list "Passion Play" by Jethro Tull...don't know that I'd classify them a Praise Band, though...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”