The Boomerang Club

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
ArthurDooleyTribute

Arthur Dooley

Post by ArthurDooleyTribute »

Hello George. Thank you so much for your impute, greatly appreciated.

The information that i have gathered is below. If you can add any tiny detail, no matter how insignificant i would be in your debt. If you think anything is not true please let me know.

You are the only person that knew Arthur and the Slater workshop, apart from Allan & Beryl Williams that is. I have known Allan for several years but his memory has faded as regards this subject. Unfortunately Allan is currently in hospital.

His first Liverpool workshop was situated within the heart of the City Centre, 19 Slater street, a side street off the main drag. A property with a number of rented commercial rooms, one of which was an electrical service Shop located on the front right hand side. Two room's would be rented here over a period of nine years. His first room was situated to the rear left of the building his second room to the front left of the building which was previously a sign and poster printing shop offering a 24 hour service. Both rooms were on the upper ground floor level. A small set of steps would lead you to the front central doorway which was always kept open. Above the doorway was a wooden sign stating 'A.Dooley: Sculptor'. The place was uninviting and dirty.
Both workshop's cum homes were very similar. They were both fairly large spaces with bare wooden floors littered with the remains of his sculpting work. A fair percentage of space was taken up with his enormous iron bedstead that he had found at his local scrap merchants. He would spend a considerable amount of time within this insulated sleeping space due to the permanent cold temperatures. Several pains of glass to the front window had been broken and half heatedly repaired with cardboard and polystyrene. Very little heating existed and he would often sleep in his work overalls, Army wool Great Coat and woolen hat. What remained of the additional floor space was taken up with unfinished sculptures, lumps of metal and his friends artwork which was stored all around. The only furniture that would have existed was a couple of old wooden tables which doubled as work benches and a few old chairs. His washing facilities comprised of a kettle and a plastic bowl and his cooking facilities was only a small 3ft x 2 ft electric cooker which was okay for basic cooking facilities. A percentage of his food and drink would also come from several other sources such as William Guinan & co ltd, Wine and spirit merchants which was located next door at 15-17. Next was Slater Stores, also next door at number 21. It was a very handy shop that sold all basic necessities such as sandwiches, confectionery and Walls ice-cream, along with newspapers and individual cigarettes. At number 23 was the Jacaranda coffee bar which was a matter of seconds away and sold the likes of sausage, egg & Bacon sandwiches, mugs of tea and coffee etc. And finally there was the Marlbourough pub at 25 Slater St.
Apart from the visual aspects of the rented rooms they would both be the ideal workplace's for him in which to flourish. He would often work till the early hours and it is here that the people of Liverpool were able to view him at work albeit the welding flashes for which he would become well known.
In order to save costs in relation to renting the premises, Arthur would share the ground floor workshop with Charlie Thompson a local wood carver, sculptor and fellow Irish Guard. This little arrangement came about when Arthur was submitting his very first quotation for a possible commission to sculpt 'The Stations of the cross', 'in wood' for St Brides Church situated on the corner of Catherine St & Percy St, Liverpool. Arthur was still a little green as regards his sculpting abilities and if he was to stand any chance of receiving the said commission he would have to find help fast. It just so happened that his army pal “ Roy Addams” (Cavern Owner) knew of Charlie Thompson who was skilled in wood carving and would be more than pleased to help Arthur with the necessary skills and techniques in forming a block material into a three dimensional piece of art. All said and done, Arthur failed to achieve his goal as regards the commission as it would eventually be awarded to an unknown third party. (Note:Sadly, Roy Addams died a couple of weeks ago)

Best Wishes

Dennis
ArthurDooleyTribute

Arthur Dooley

Apologies Geoff. I called you George.
ArthurDooleyTribute

Re: The Boomerang Club

Good morning Geoff.

Thank you for the information, greatly appreciated. I hope you don't mind me asking. Would it be possible to meet with you in Liverpool. Having spoken with George yesterday he very kindly gave detailed information in relation to several clubs. Unfortunately i need some feet on the ground around the Slater Street area in which to fill in the blanks. My work is extremely important in order to retain detailed historical facts from original sources and i truly believe that a meeting would prove very fruitful for both of us. My email address is dooley.info@tiscali.co.uk . There will be a cup of tea in it for you.

Thanks Geoff

Best wishes

Dennis
ArthurDooleyTribute

13_temple_street wrote:Dennis; I frequently visited Arthur when he moved into a vacent ground floor room at the back of 17, Slater Street,Liverpool. Arthur filled the room with scrap metal to a point that the door opened wide enough for a person to sqeeze in. Arthur would work away welding and hammering in the midst of all the scrap.

Hello Geoff.

Could you possibly contact me, fairly important Email: Dooley.info@tiscali.co.uk Many Thanks. Dennis
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Post by 13_temple_street »

Dennis; 17,Slater Street Liverpool,was part of a block of Georgian buildings stretching from William Guinan's brewery to number 19, Slater Street an alleyway separated the next building which was the sweets and tobacconist, also on this block was as you point out in your missive the Jacaranda and the Marlborough public house.I should point out at this stage that number 17 and 19 Slater Street were although terraced had two separate entrances,when Arthur moved in number 19 was occupied by a business dealing in vacuum cleaners known as the 'Vac Shop' Arthur eventually extended his studio activities into these premises,also into the front room where Newby's poster writer once worked at 17 Slater Street .
One other shop you didn't mention was a corner grocery shop at the bottom of Slater Street this was owned by Joe who had a gleaming bacon slicer on his counter, he stocked Stork margarine and loose Mantunna Tea, we all shopped at Joe's including Arthur.
jackev5

Post by jackev5 »

Response to Scott Williams
Hi Scott, I know this is a long shot all these years later but if you are still able to get any photos I would be delighted. I have still not quite finished mum's album so any pictures or information would be a fabulous addition. I am also on Facebook under Jacqui Browne neè currey if you ate able to contact me there. Kind Regards Jacqui

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”