Playing a 320-325 shortscale on a gig

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

anon

Playing a 320-325 shortscale on a gig

Post by anon »

I know John Lennon and John Fogerty have used the 325 in a live situation...
Does anyone on the Rick forum use one for live gigs??

Who else besides Lennon and Fogerty who is famous used a 320 or a 325 ???
just curious....

thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anon: The answer depends on your definition of famous, but I will give it a try. George Harrison, Eric Carmen, Guy Davis, Melanie Doane, Nancy Douglas, Peter Frampton, Per Gessle, Maurice Gibb, Susanna Hoffs, Jimmy Vivino, Marty Wilson-Piper, Marie Fredrikkson and Naoko Yamona. So there have been a few. I am sure I've missed a number.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
FRANK

Post by FRANK »

Pete,
Didnt George just use it as a prop in the Help movie...Did he actually own a Rick 325 or ever borrow Johns in concert???
It would be nice if there was a picture of George using one in a live or studio situation...

In my original post, Im talking about artist/stars who actually used one LIVE, on a REAL stage for a whole set...I dont know who some of the artist you posted, sorry for my ignorace....
I know George, eric carman, peter frampton, marty wilson Piper...
I think I remember one of the BEE GEES using a Rick 325 v59 live on a recent tour....did you see that one???
Im also interested in a regular Rickenbacker forum person, like you or me, using one for a gig....
Im trying to get an overview of what its like to use a 325 shortscale and see if anybody really uses a 320-325 for real on stage usage or if most people that own 320-325s just set them up next to their Ludwig Ringo drum set or Hofner Beatle bass and look at them for hours....
I do this kind of thing too, so please dont take this statement badly....
Why do we do this????
Is that normal???

Disclaimer:
I hope you or anyone on the Rickenbacker forum who reads this posting didn't find my reply offensive, I assure you that was not my original intent, if you find this recent posting offensive or do not agree with my views, Please accept my sincere apologies and I will retract them and agree with you whole heartily...

Thank you...
Have a very nice day...
May the sun always shine where you are...
All is good and right in the world.....

FRANK M. ROBINSON III
Frank_S

Post by Frank_S »

I use a 325v59 as main guitar and a 325v63 as a back-up. They have been my main guitars for a while, beating out Gretsches, Fenders, and Gibsons(including the over priced Historic).
Playing a short scale guitar is easy once you spend some time getting used to it. If the guitar is set up right, the action should be low and comfortable. You may find the 12-54 recommended string gauge a bit stout, but it makes the guitar sing. I've read people complain about Rickenbackers being unplayable for leads. This is hogwash. I've found "my sound" by using these guitars. I think they are great.
My band plays between 4 and 8 times a month, for 1.5 to 3.5 hours at a time. I use the Rick the whole time. Try before you buy.
milo
Veteran RRF member

Post by milo »

Frank S.
Do you prefer the Bigsby or the Accent as far as staying in tune, etc.? Does the Bigsby (B5?) sit totally flush on the surface of the guitar. I have been debating which of these to put on one of my guitars (330 or 350) and would be happy to hear from someone who uses the same model with both styles of vibrato. I have been leaning toward the Accent mostly because it doesn't require new holes and can be undone if I'm not happy with it. I have tried a 320/v63 in the store but could only compare it to a Bigsby on a Gretsch.
Frank_S

Post by Frank_S »

Jeff,

I really dislike the Accent. To my ears the guitar just doesn't ring, it deadens the low notes. I play a hybrid of lead and rhythm, so I really need both trios of strings to crunch and jangle. The Bigsby does not sit flush with the body, but it's height isn't a problem. The arm doesn't have much travel and the B5 needs to be lubed sometimes, but I like it. The B5 stays in tune well with the heavy strings. Changing strings can be tough, but I can now change a single in under a minute, right about the time the singer should shut up. The Accent doesn't do it for me. As far making the change is it just "plus 5" or do you need a whammy? I really don't like the "R" and have put trapeze's or Bigsby's on all my Ricks.
milo
Veteran RRF member

Post by milo »

I really just want to be able to get that warble type of sound, not Van Halen dive bombs, but I have been nervous about drilling extra holes in either of my guitars. How uneven does the Bigsby sit and does it look like an add on when you look close, or are there spacers and stuff that make it look "factory"? I have seen pictures before but never any close ups. I guess it would help if I knew whether I wanted one for my 330 with heavier flat wounds, or my 350 with lighter round wounds.
LONNY

Post by LONNY »

how is your guitars wired???
FACTORY nasal lead.... the Mark MD way, with the mixer as a volume for the middle PU or the way John Lennon's was wired with the middle PU not hooked up???
Im trying to figure out if I want to leave mine factory with the nasally lead tone or do something different....Im not too crazy for the out of faze sound it has now in the lead position with the middle and lead hooked up together....any suggestions????
Frank_S

Post by Frank_S »

I would say that the Bigsby sits between a half inch to an inch off the body. It will probably always look like an add on to you, but if done carefully won't noticed by the general public. As for the eagle eyed Rick Forum people, you'll be busted flat out! Image
As for Pick-ups, I use the switch as a kill switch, volume on "3" for bass, flat out for treble. I don't get a real nasal sound, but it is trebly(if you can "hear" the difference). I don't even bother with the mixer on my v63. I also leave my PU's hooked up.
LONNY

Post by LONNY »

thanks frank s
LONNY
guille72

Post by guille72 »

I have a 325V63 and rocks on stage, keep in tune very well, and very confortable, i´m the lead guitar of the band, it´s sing all over the other instruments !!!!!
Frank_S

Post by Frank_S »

Hey Guille72:
What kind of music do you play?
Just curious. Lead guitarists toting 325's are a rare breed.
Guille72

Post by Guille72 »

Frank, the 325's are more versatile than people think, I don´t know why the mystery of the short scale, people say: "325 = rythm guitar" Why !!!, in two weeks I could play perfectly the riffs (and my hands aren´t small). I played on a Standard Strat and when I got the 325 in my hands and the first rick chord sounded, I fell in love with her. I think that any good guitarist can play fine a riff on a 325.I was very scared about keep it in tone due to lots of users reviews, but she keeps in tone like a rock on stage. I think the problem that people don´t use them too much is the price too. You can get a strat or tele for U$S 400. we should stop with the myth that short scale is for rythm. people tell me woooww I like it very much, and you sounds great !!! Can I? and I say: hey !!! leave my kitten alone !!!
Come on guys!!! let´s rock the 325's !!!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”