Scott Walker - The Enigma

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
JeffZ

Re: Scott Walker - The Enigma

Post by JeffZ »

Scott is one of my heroes; I have all the first 4 solo LP's and there's some truly great stuff like "Next" (my girlfriend's mother was really shocked when she heard us listening to it one day), also "Jackie" and an under appreciated song Scott wrote called "For The Neo-Stalinist Regime; The Old Man's Back Again" which dealt with the invasion of Chekoslovakia in 1968.

The Walker Brothers at their best had a kind of neo-Phil Spector-esqe power to their records; the flip side of "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" is a terrific example of this. "After The Lights Go Out" is one of their best. I recently saw an on line interview with both John and Gary and they seemed like good guys to have a beer with.

I've heard some of Scott's more recent stuff; it's very downcast chamber music, almost like listening to a musical nervous breakdown.
ukuser

Post by ukuser »

Hi Roy, Thanks for the welcome - been with the forum for a while but drift in and out depending how obsessed I am with my guitar!

Yeah, I've got Scott Walker output through the 70s and into his 'avant-garde' newer stuff.

70s stuff you get some real gems, like "Thanks for Chicago Mr James" from "Til the band comes in' - in fact most of that LP is good, even listen to the cheese of 'any day now', but Drift and Tilt, I just can't listen to. I bought tilt LP day it came out and rushed home hoping for a renaissance of his 'classic' solo output, but I was so disappointed. "I'll give you 21, 21, 21, 21 ..." God it's poor, and I'm a massive fan.

Where are you in UK Roy? I'm in God's county of West Yorkshire.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I am in Morley Simon

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”