Scott Walker - The Enigma

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

Scott Walker - The Enigma

Post by royclough »

There was an interesting documentary aired on UK TV this week about the enigma that is Scott Walker.

Scott Walker was the lead vocalist with a band called the Walker Brothers, though American they never really found fame in the US. They made top 20 twice in US, only hits they had there, as no others made top 50.

Both of those hits were number one's for them here in UK.

They were not actually brothers, band members were Scot Engel, John Maus and Gary Leeds. Actually Leeds was the drummer but in my view his part in the band was superfluous, though it was his idea to try their luck in UK. He never actually played on any recordings due to some contractual wrangle and Scott did virtually all lead vocals though on albums there was the occasional lead by John.

John Walker recently toured over here with The Searchers, Wayne Fontana, The Merseybeats and Dakotas, I thought he came across well, even though all the Walker Brothers hits he performed, were all sang by Scott.

They were huge over here between 64 -66 and then spilt up, each made solo releases but Scott was the most successful.

A chance meeting though changed Scott Walker, he apparently went back to some girl's flat and she put on a Jacques Brel album, a French singer known for what some would call weird songs.

Scott was taken with these songs and his first solo album contained a number of Brel songs. This album was certainly a move away from the sound that had made him famous.

He made a number of solo albums but each began to sell less and less as I am sure the fans who had expected Walker Brothers type numbers began to become disillusioned.

In 1976 the band reformed and made a comeback in the charts here in UK with a Tom Rush song No Regrets, which made top ten, three albums were released the third of which was in my view Scott Walker influenced, the record label just let him do what he wanted, as it was the end of the contract, it was nothing like the sound that had made them famous, though first two albums were.

Also Gary Walker was actually featured on two vocals, though only credited with percussion on the first two albums.

Interestingly a lot of Walker Brothers recordings and SW's solo recordings were arranged by Wally Stott, who is now a Angela and was interviewed on the programme, credit to him/her for that.

Basically nothing was heard from the band again, Scott basically disappeared from the music scene till a solo album was released in 84, again a very self indulgent release that was not a success, it was to be another 11 years before he released a new album this was even more weird, then almost 12 years later another album Drift, who was expected to buy it is hard to define, of the tracks I have heard it is painful listening, to my view he has completely lost the plot.

I believe the other two have not seen him in over 25 years.

To me it is a pity, Scott Walker had a fantastic voice but could never really accept the fame and adulation they received in the 60’s.

He could IMO top any 60’s package tour today, even though of course those looks that had 10O0’s of females swooning are gone, but he would have to sing the old hits and he would never do that.
I recall going to see him in about 72 in a small club in Bolton and have never witnessed anything like it really, before he came on, his manager I assume, came on the small stage and basically lectured the audience about him being some sort of artist and bars would remain shut whilst he was on stage, went down a storm with some that, he did not as far as I recall perform any Walker Brothers songs and whilst vocally he was excellent this venue was not for him.

I have uploaded some tracks from, The Walker Brothers heyday and some solo SW stuff including a track from Drift to give you an example of what he is about today.

I know not many take advantage of the uploads but I assure you, worth a listen.

To download, click here
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Gee, what a voice, what a voice...
Jacques Brel sang weird songs? Um, maaaybe. How about Serge Gainsbourg then? Image
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Don't know much about Serge apart from the track he made with Jane Birkin.

Jacques Brel's songs did have a dark theme Sheena IMO.

Glad you like the tracks Sheena and thanks for listening
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Well, i guess that's just because i kinda grew up with songs in a style similar to the one Brel sang in, though in different language - "dark theme" doesn't sound strange to me at all (and imho, he had a great voice, too, and was a great actor).
Nothing to thank me for (i guess), thank you for uploading the tracks!
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Scott Walker (I like pics)
Can't wait to hear the tracks, Roy. Thanks!
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

...and Jacques Brel
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Gary Walker (Leeds) was in the Standells at one time and Scott Engel was in The Routers, remember Let's Go.

Gary Leeds made his home in UK as did Scott Walker(Engel) but John Walker (Maus) returned to US.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Re the photos: Personally, i think Jacques Brel is more of "my type" (visually; and no, not because of the cigaretteImage). No kiddin'. As far as voices are concerned, i like both.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I remember their "Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore", Roy...It must have charted in the USA, however briefly, because Top 40 was the only thing available to me in those years.

My favorite version of this tune, incidentally, is the a capella version performed on the "Flying Pickets Live!" album.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Big Jim Sullivan played on their records as well I understand. I always liked the Walker Bros. What little I heard from them. Thanks for the download Roy. I am sure I am going to enjoy them all over again.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Didn't The Walker Brothers do "Five O'Clock World"?

One of my all time faves.

Certainly a hit here on the left coast.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Jerry: 'Five O'Clock World' was a hit for The Vogues.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

DOH!

Thanks.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Jerry: Don't feel bad. I knew it wasn't the Walker Bros, but I had to cheat and do an internet search to find The Vogues.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Thanks. In any case, I like both "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" and "Five O'Clock World" very much.

I liked The Walker Brothers' version of Jerry Butler's "Make It Easy On Yourself as well.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”