Need help getting gigs

Putting music theory into practice
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Need help getting gigs

Post by firstbassman »

I guess this kind of counts for the “benefit of musicianship.” More of a benefit to a (specific) musician though.

I don’t want this to come off as woe is me, poor Mark. But my band has hit a deep fallow period. We have no gigs scheduled for over two months! We have never gone longer than four weeks. Granted the summer is usually a slow time and we might not be able fulfill a gig anyway in August because of personal vacation schedules. But I can tell that something is happening here. Or not happening as the case may be.

We fill the clubs when we play but club owners don’t seem anxious at all to re-book us right away. People are dancing and having a great time. What gives? And the owners compliment us all the time and say what a great show we just put on. “Well, then, when’s your next opening?”

“I’ll get back to you,” is what they say.

We’ve thought about going with an agency but their response has been as warm as club owners so far.

I feel like an acne or toothpaste commercial from the early 60s. (“Why won’t Timmy ask me out on a date.”) But this is really starting to bug me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Takes an investment but you can subscribe to Pollstar and use it to book yourself cross country
Reverb set to stun !!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Mark, what type of band are you guys, and what do you play, and where do you usually play?
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Sorry Jason, didn't see any more posts here until today.

We are strictly a cover band. Mostly 60s and 70s and 80s. (Beatles, Stones, Bad Company, Bryan Adams ...).

Play in Northern Virginia. Thanks.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Move to Tampa. Our 2nd bass player quit. He got an opportunity he couldn't pass up, so I can't fault him. And the 1st was due to work. So the problem ain't us!

Seriously, maybe try mixing in some newer material. If I didn't know you were 60s-70s-80s, I would have asked the following questions: What are the last 5 new songs your band learned? and how recent are those? what percent of your repertoire (not what you CAN play, but what you DO play) was a hit in the last three years?

What does your band do that makes it different (and a notch above) from reegular bands that play 60s-70s-80s covers? Do you have fresh arrangements? Medleys? Dance moves? I ain't kidding, that stuff sells.
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

Mark, the problem is that your in the NOVA/DC region, my friend. The entire area is hurting for venues and we're set to lose two more with in the next 40 days or so.

I've been the guitarist with Catfish Hodge for the last 7 years and even a guy with 'Fish's name recognition and volume of work is having a hellava time getting dates on the books. When I first started working with him, we had 7 rooms on regular rotation; now we've three and one is as a semi-acoustic trio now instead of a full band gig. If it wasn't for pickup work, I'd only gig three times each month.

When JV's Restaurant in Falls Church is the hot ticket, you know it's getting rough. The owner has been bombarded with bands looking for gigs; so many that she's been having "double headers" on Saturdays. She's even getting calls from as far away as Georgia looking for a date. It's getting tight.

What rooms are you currently working? I could possibly be of a little help in giving you a few leads. Drop me a PM; my e-mail addy is in my profile.
Wherever you go, there you are
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

Mark, I'm leaving Sunday (8/5) for a week's vacation and I'm headed off to a gig in Harrisonburg, VA at 4:00PM this afternoon. If you're at all interested in my help, you'll have to hit me soon. I'll be out of touch until Monday, 8/13.

Peace.
Wherever you go, there you are
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

It probably won't be useful, but backpages.com has a D.C. page, and its website has a place for bands to post:

http://washingtondc.backpage.com/online/classifieds/index

There are other cities listed, so there may be another one in your area.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”