Why I am a YES fan

The genius of Chris Squire
phlemmy

Why I am a YES fan

Post by phlemmy »

Steve Howe, Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman and later the Drama album. Growing up a drummer, I loved listening to Bruford, much more so than Alan White's stiff style. He just never seemed to flow to me.

I like most of their stuff up to and including 90125, but Drama was the one that really shined for me and is my favorite by them. Trevor's voice was very fitting. My other faves would be Close to the Edge, Going for the One, Tormato, Fragile and 90125.

It was never about Chris Squire for me, not even after I started playing bass. While I respect his mark on the instrument, he's not one of my favorites although I love Fish Out of Water...but again, not because of the bass.

I do wish I could have caught them live pre-90125. But finally getting to see Steve Howe live twice in the last decade has been great.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Their music reaches into the fibers of my being. It is part of me, connects very easily to my soul, and was that way from the start when I found TYA, then YES and TAAW, then every album since.

For me, GFTO, Tormato, and the 80s were, not hit or miss, but some songs just didn't ring for me. But then we had Awaken, Future Times, and Silent Wings of Freedom on them. I wonder what DKTW would have been with Chris' lyrics....

Drama, Tales, Relayer, CTTE, Talk, and TYA all stand out from the rest.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

ooooo...I forgot about Relayer. Cheers!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

It is amazing how many of us here have posted really liking Drama. With Geoff and Trevor replacing Jon and Rick and the flack Yes took for that, the album was not very well received but has very good works on it. I've always wished "Man In A White Car" was developed into a full song - great melody/idea. And "Run Through The Light" is awesome - has an "Only A Northern Song" feel to it.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Im a big fan of Drama as well.
"Knowledge is Power"
relayer4u
Intermediate Member

Post by relayer4u »

Because it is the most beautiful music I've ever heard.
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

Does fills my soul sound to corny?
May you always work like you don't need money;
May you always love like you've never been hurt;
and may you always dance like there's nobody watching.
Jack Canfield
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Not at all, I know how that feels too, Tammy Image My iPod includes every song that YES ever put onto media that I could buy!
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

The only way I know to describe it.. and even that does not seem to explain how the music makes me feel...
May you always work like you don't need money;
May you always love like you've never been hurt;
and may you always dance like there's nobody watching.
Jack Canfield
lionheart

Post by lionheart »

I sometimes think that Yes' music is not a style of "music" per se,(like "rock" or "prog"), but I think it is a style of "composition" that fits into the "prog" category. Which I suppose could be said for the rest of the prog giants - maybe this is the reason that Yes' music hits hard with the people it connects with, and generally gets ignored by the people who decide who the Rock and Roll hall of fame inductees will be. When you consider that the instruments they use aren't any different than most other rock bands, I think it really does boil down to arrangement, and in a larger sense, composition. Tension, release, counterpoint, modulation etc....it's all in there, by musicians who know what they are doing, and can play their instruments. When it all clicks, its a wonderful thing.

I'm done rambling now. :-)
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

One word:

Fragile

"It must be Italian! Frah JEEElay!"
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Good quote Paul. I just used the same line a few weeks ago!
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Every time I see "Fragile" printed or stenciled, I have to pronounce it "Frah Jeeelay"

Hah! Image
"Knowledge is Power"
gray

Post by gray »

I was probably in 4th grade when I first heard Yes, and I remember being very drawn to it. It was probably Big Generator or 90125, at that point. Then when I first heard "Roundabout" as I was exploring the band on my first radio, I remember thinking how amazing and different it was from all the other music I was hearing on that station (a rock station I stuck with). It wasn't until much later I realized how I was drawn to music that featured prominent bass lines, but that was one of the things that drew me to Yes in the first place, just as it drew me to Joy Division/New Order, Bauhaus and the Southern Death Cult much later when I was in college.
The first thing that drew me to Yes was simply the fact that as 4th grader, I liked listening to the music they were making at the time. However, as I got older, what drew me to them was the otherworldly complexity of what they had done earlier.
Chris Squire was absolutely my very first bass influence, even though what I do doesn't resemble or compare to what he does, and I really appreciate how far he pushed the instrument. There are a lot of people who don't at all realize how much they owe him.
I can also say that nowadays I appreciate the music of Yes far more than I did as a teenager or even in my twenties.
alan

Post by alan »

In high school, I had an 8-track of Tales from Topographic Oceans. One song per "section", and a set of headphones, and I was off in another galaxy. I would lie on my bed, and dream of becoming that kind of bass player. Of course, it didn't turn out quite that way, but I do play in a band, and have played the Ric bass since '79. It's much more than music when it touches you deep inside, and allows you to dream big dreams.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”