Why wasn't Steve Howe on 90125 & Big Generator?

The genius of Chris Squire
chrisjin

Why wasn't Steve Howe on 90125 & Big Generator?

Post by chrisjin »

I think I'm a reasonably big Yes fan, but not to the point where I research for information about individual members. That being said, why wasn't Steve Howe part of 90125 & Big Generator? Were there personal issues between certain members, or did he have other obligations, or what? I don't think any of his solo releases coincided with those two Yes releases, so why was he absent?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Asia. He wanted to try a rock band.
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

YES as a whole broke up in 1980. Steve was a faithful member until the whole band broke up. Only then did Steve go to different groups, although he had done some solo work while a member of YES is the 1970s. He was just doing other things of a more straight-rock nature with the "supergroup" Aja, and locked-up under a tight contract for the two Aja albums and associated touring, when members of YES decided to reform during the period of those two albums, and was prevented from joining them right then. Steve also did a third album with GTR later, and of course the period "apart for awhile" from Chris with ABWH late in the 90s.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
chrisjin

Post by chrisjin »

Ahhhh, Asia - I completely forgot about them. Now that I think of it there was GTR, too.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

There is no one single member of Yes who appears on all of the lps ...
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Squire
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Umm, are you sure Jeff? If it is "all the LPs meaning LPs by the band YES", find me a YES LP that Chris Squire is not on. I know, there are other names describing a lot of the other members, like ABWH, but is there even one album titled as by the band YES that Chris is not on?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

"Squire"

"I Am the "Yesman", goo goo g'joob."
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Personally, I have always wanted to know what John's next line meant, you know, the one that goes "Semolina pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower".....
lionheart

Post by lionheart »

Although I think Steve Howe is a fantastic guitarist, I think 90125 and Big Generator are very good records, and Trevor Rabin is exactly what Yes needed during that point in their career. I did see GTR live when they toured, and it was a trip to see Steve Hackett and Steve Howe on the same stage together. They sounded great, too.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Elys, email sent.
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Wow, John, thanks! That's a bizarre story about Lennon indeed!!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

...it was a trip to see Steve Hackett and Steve Howe on the same stage together. They sounded great, too.

I feel exactly the same way about seeing Bill Bruford and Phil Collins playing together the two nights in a row I saw Genesis during the Trick Of The Tail tour in the mid '70s.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Man, those first 2 Asia LPs were monsters! Both stay in my rotation.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

Elys: check your e-mail.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”