Gretsch 6120DC - TV Jones?

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

red_rob
Intermediate Member

Gretsch 6120DC - TV Jones?

Post by red_rob »

I know these super cool guitars use dto come with TV Jones pickups but they no longer seem to (judging from the description on the Gretsch website). Does anyone know when the switch was made?

I really want to get one but I'd much rather it was one with the TVs fitted. Is there any way of knowing without getting a screw driver out?

Cheers

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The TV Jones were phased out mid-last year, I believe...you can tell the difference with a ruler--the bridge polepieces on the Jones are wider-spaced than the neck polepieces. The Gretsch FTs are both identical. The difference is about 1/16"
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
red_rob
Intermediate Member

Post by red_rob »

Thanks Paul - I'd be lost without your brain!

So It would be safe to assume that a 2003 model would have the TVs in?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I think TVJ pu's say "TV Jones" right on the face. I have a '94 6120 with TVJ's added, and they have that. Stock ones, however, I don't know about.
red_rob
Intermediate Member

Post by red_rob »

Jason - I think it's the after market pickups that you get directly from TVJ that have the "TV Jones" stamped on them. The ones they make directly for gretsch don't seem to...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

That would make sense.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

That is true; the Gretsch ones have a label on the back, but nothing to distinguish them stamped on the case. The polepiece spacing, however, is a dead giveaway.

A 2003 should have the Joneses. Terrific and rare guitar.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
red_rob
Intermediate Member

Post by red_rob »

Trigger pulled. Excitement begins...

red_rob
Intermediate Member

Post by red_rob »

My word. What a completely fantastic guitar! This one is a real peach and no mistake.

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

So, does it have TV Jones pickups???????? Image
red_rob
Intermediate Member

Post by red_rob »

Sorry Jeffrey! Yes - according to Paul's test (and the fact that it sounds A-MA-ZING it DOES have TVJs.
tamborineman

Re: Gretsch 6120DC - TV Jones?

Post by tamborineman »

congrads richard,
a comment regarding tv jones pus. they are still available on some gretsch guitars. it requires a very close examination of their web site to sort out the diff in the many variations of gretsch models. i just ordered a 6118-LTV [no refund on a special order] from my local dealer. i almost ordered the wrong one. a 6118 anniv. looks the same but on close examination they are quite different. an additional $500 gets you TV JONES PUs [polished alluminum vs chrome],tresle bracing, nickle hardware vs chrome, a two peice neck vs three, nitros laquer body vs urethane. my usually knowlegable salesman and i couldn't sort it out looking at a catalog. i'm so glad i took a very close look at the web site. i hope it's as good as the 6120's i've tried in the store. i will report...
gray

Post by gray »

Do the presence of TVJ's have anything to do with the closed/painted F holes?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

No, many old Gretsches also had the fake F holes, something I find very strange. I like mine real.
gray

Post by gray »

Yeah, I see that from time to time and wondered if it had anything to do with feedback or something. I like it better real as well.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”