WSJ article on relic'ed guitars

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

octagon

WSJ article on relic'ed guitars

Post by octagon »

rictified

Post by rictified »

Anyone that buys one of those ought to have their head examined especially at 15,000.00 a pop for an Andy Summers 61 Tele (who gets a cut BTW), but one line does explain the appeal I guess: "A lot of the guys we sell to are dentists or lawyers or whatever," I wonder how many people buy these shams from ebay thinking they are getting the real thing. Any bass I own that has been relic'ed has gotten that way honestly.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I don't think that anyone thinks they're getting the "real thing". If they do, they've got a good fraud case going...

I do think that there are enough moneyed folks out there, to whom "bragging rights" are more important than anything else and easily trump any consideration of intrinsic value. And, sadly, as time goes on, this could support resale values on this trash.

The result would be just another example of our so-called "culture" abandoning the quality and beauty of real creativity and the memorable artifacts that genius can produce, for junk generated by profiteers to keep owners and stockholders happy.

That all of this nonsense takes place in the hallowed halls of Fender's own "Custom Shop" is ironic. A "Custom Shop" that takes part in the destruction of a new instrument is a laugh and one more indication of the twists that language can be forced to take when new dollars are more important than genuine tradition.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

Quote:
"Before assembling and shipping out "relic" guitars, Mr. Eldred's employees at Fender Musical Instruments Corp.'s Custom Shop will use powerful industrial solvents to create worn spots in the paint, and the subfreezing accelerant from aerosol cans to mimic the subtle "weather checking" cracks that spider across old lacquer surfaces."

No expense is spared, even the environment, it seems!
Plus five minus five!
SixtyFour
Veteran RRF member

Post by SixtyFour »

like this one???Image
1991 4001CS - D4 8646 / D4 8099 MIA
brammy

Post by brammy »

Those "pre-worn" guitars they sell make me barf.
“The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.” ....H. L. Mencken
blue330
Professional Player

Post by blue330 »

The best thing about this brilliant new aspect of the musical instrument industry has been the successful introduction of a bold new verb: to relic. For example, my puppy relics my glasses every time she gets a hold of them, thereby drastically increasing their value, I guess.
The guitar- road to ruin?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

This whole topic relics my confidence in my fellow man's priorities.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

I actually have a real talent for this sort of thing--I wonder what they pay at the Custom Shop?

It's hard to name my new job title...I'm either lousy (relicer) or licky (relicker) or drunk once again (reliquor).
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
rictified

Post by rictified »

Bragging rights:
Beavis: Hey man, I heard you can get a brand new guitar that's been beaten, smashed, cut, been hit with a belt with nails in it and had industrial chemicals sprayed all over it,
Butthead: That's really cool man heh, heh, heh, I want one too.
Beavis: Hey, maybe we can borrow Mr. Anderson's lawn mower and run all over one, and then drag it around and put it in the highway and let trucks run over it.
Butthead: Yeah... Heh heh heh, Beavis, you're really cool heh heh heh. Let's go.
Beavis: Then it will look like Metallica's guitar.
Butthead, heh heh heh, cool!
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I remember how startled I was to learn when Fender announced a "relic" shop. I was a minority who thought it ridiculous as most of my aquaintances welcomed it. Have instruments beautifully made only to have it violated??? I have the same sentiments toward celebrity re-issue guitars -- and to make matters worse, for sums in the $10,0000 - $25,000. There is a lot of money out there for ego purchases and the business keeps creating more.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

While we keep playing and acquiring handbuilt works of art and craft that sell for $1K-$2K new and under $20K for the rarest untouchables...

Things are out of whack, methinks.

Actually, me has been thinking this for some time.
― Kurt Vonnegut
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

from 1976 thru 1983 I used to make Fender Relics with small pegheads. the factory wasn't making what local S. Cal. players were looking for so they would come to me to get what they wanted. We would also take 68 Goldtops and turn them into 58 Bursts, most of the 68 GT's were left over from the 50's soap bar p-up models so it was simple. 2 of the guys that worked in my shop went on to the Fender Custom Shop to become Master Builders that made new strats look old...there is nothing new about any of this, it's just a marketing program to fill a hole in the vintage guitar world.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Has anyone ever asked you to repair the ding in their ding?
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
j_gary
Intermediate Member

Post by j_gary »

Mark, I think Archie Bunker may have.
I'm just happy to be here.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”