Jazz Bass refinish, opinions?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Jazz Bass refinish, opinions?

Post by sloop_john_b »

Several years ago, my parents bought me a fretless Fender Jazz Bass, Mexican made, in a finish that Fender calls, or called, "Midnight Blue". I was never really crazy about it, and liked it less and less when my friends began to chastize me for having a "purple bass" (I'm colorblind and it looked like blue to me).

It hadn't been played much in a few years, as I simply don't play fretless very much, but recently I happened upon a Warmoth P-bass neck with a maple fretboard which I proceeded to affix the bass. Suddenly, I was playing it! Really dug the sound, and the big Precision neck was a nice contrast to my Ricks.

But the color hadn't grown on me over time. So I decided to have it refinished (Mike Dolan). But, i'm still not totally sold on a color.

The obvious first choice (and up to this point, still the front-runner) was Sonic Blue, my 2nd favorite guitar color (behind RIC's Blue Boy). The problem is that I don't know how well it's going to go with the maple fretboard. I prefer rosewood boards with that color.

So, in considering colors that would fit the scheme, i've also thought about Coral Pink, or perhaps Salmon Pink. I'd like some more opinions/ideas though. Anybody?

I'm definitley going for a 60's Fender vibe with the body - i've got the finger rest and the two ashtray covers (and will get a mint pickguard when the time comes), so think late 50's/60's.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Whatever that pink Fender does that looks a little teeny bit orangeish. Shell pink maybe?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

There's a music shop near me that has a used F*nd*r Jazz Bass with a finish that looks much like RIC's Sea Green finish. It looks pretty cool...and I'm no J-bass fan.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

A nice aged cream with a tortoise-shell pickguard?
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I always liked Ocean turquoise
"Knowledge is Power"
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I had a salmon pink Jazzmaster with a horny-toad pickguard, and it looked KILLER. Go for it!!!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I've looked at some photos of the Fender pinks - I think i'm partial to Shell Pink, actually. Salmon was a little too red for my tastes (undercooked?).

Love this look, minus the silly relic job: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/images/jazzmaster-lg.jpg
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

Here's an example of what a [url=http:/www.southpawguitars.com/stratcs56sonic.html]sonic blue strat w/ a maple fret board[/url] looks like. Actually, it looks pretty good in person.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
86kubicki
Advanced Member

Post by 86kubicki »

Love that Jazzmaster pic John! That shade of pink looks great!
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

And it even goes fine with the pinkish maple. For Fenders, I generally think the sonic blue, the shell pink and some of the sparkle finishes look the best (as well as the pink paisley.)
"rubber heads don't dent easily"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Very cool color scheme JB.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Seems to me that something in the pink range (be it coral or salmon or shell or Roosterdink) is the most arresting.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Here is a Wal bass of mine, John, that I had refinished in Sonic Blue. Since the shape is close to a Jazz, this might help. Refinish performed by Pat Wilkins, Wilkins Guitars, Van Nuys, CA. Also, this is a fretless.

Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

I really like ocean turquoise, dakota red, and shoreline gold, among many others.

Return to “The Low End”