Lessons

Putting music theory into practice
charlyg

Lessons

Post by charlyg »

Ok, when it rains it pours. I just contacted Denny Croy will take a 1/2 hour lesson at noon on Fridays right down the street from my work. I also found out Carole has moved to Valencia. So I have both to choose from. My ego says take them from Carole as folks seem to respect (I'm taking lessons from Carole) that! He comes with a reconnendation from Carole so.............

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =234109418
charlyg

Re: Lessons

Post by charlyg »

I had my first lesson with Denny today, and we hit it off real well. He likes my taste in bass folks:

Geezer B., Felix P., Mel S., Leo L., and Rick G. for Rock and blues

Lee S., and John M. for ballady, poppy stuff.

I have to practice all the 1-3-5 triads in a I-IV-V in all keys, and going down also(I have always gone up to the IV-V). Something I should have been doing on my own!

He also turned me on to a vary tasty John McVie blues bass line that uses a 6th.
Let's see if I remember.

D on the 5th fret of A string. Then the octave, then C, then A, then B, then A, then F#, then A. and do the I-IV-V thing going down to the IV. 8th notes with a swing feel.

Tasty line.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I'm such an idiot. As some of you may know, I am VERY interested in the blues, but haven't played any. In fact, those two tunes I played with Darren were the first time I ever played blues with ANYONE! Thus the lack of chops. Well, After my teach telling me about going down to the IV once in a while, I gave it a shot. WOW! A whole new world. It amazes me sometimes how we can overlook the most simple things, just because we are afraid to make a mistake!

I am also finely able to name notes quicker on the fretboard just by realizing a little "secret". ADGCF A#D#G#C#F# BEA. This is across the fretboard from fat to thin, anywhere. Just pick a starting note.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

2nd lesson. He also mentioned a book I'd recommend for anyone. It is called What Duck Done! I picked up a copy today.

33 Transcriptions, stories and two cd's!

This week we're working on major pentatonics. Did I mention this fellow used to play with T-Bone Walker?

So here is what I have learned in two lessons.

Minor Pentatonic 1 - b3 - 4- 5 - b7
Major Pentatonic 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 6
And I'm starting to think intervals and patterns while playing, now that I understand WHY it is a pattern.

Plus going down to the fourth, and some turn-arounds to use.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Excellent progress, Charly! Keep us posted!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

The most confusing (for me at first) was that chords are built on 1-3-5 and progressions are I-IV-V. So I sometimes go to the 4 instead of the 3 "inside" a chord. I am overcoming!!!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”