Favorite Artists

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
charlyg

Re: Favorite Artists

Post by charlyg »

Hey that sounds cool! Artists by region! That would give us some local folks to check out!!

I'm about 10 to 1 electric vs acoustic on blues selections. I am of the opinion, you take what has been done before, and take it to a new place. Whether it be a new rhythm, electrifying, or whatever, I wouldn't want to hear Little Red Rooster with just the acoustic folks.

Muddy Waters invented electricity!!
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

I can't believe that I didn't mention this dude - John Nemeth.

If you've never heard of him you really need to pick up his new Blind Pig release or got to his webpage and get either of his indy releases. MONSTER SINGER!! I had the pleasure to have backed him and RJ Mischo on a short east coast tour 3 years ago and was just blown away by his ability. The guy wasn't even 30 years old and had the vocal maturity of someone twice his age. Very nice harp player as well."Fat John" is gonna be the next big sensation on the scene; the successor to Kim Wilson, IMHO.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Congrats Charly!
Albert King,
Freddie King,
BB King,
Albert Collins
Muddy Waters
Johnny Winter
SRV
Early EC
Jimi Hendrix (think Red House)
Peter Green
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Thanks George!

That's a page right out of my "list"....
rictified

Post by rictified »

admin wrote:A great topic, Charly.

A guitarist that I never seem to grow tired of is Mike Bloomfield who made some outstanding recordings with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band. His terrific tone is equaled only by his exquisite performances. He was the kind of player who makes you want to play the blues.
I also love Mike Bloomfield, especially what he did on Dylan's Highway 61 revisited which although not a blues album is great nonetheless.
some of my favorites are little Walter, Muddy, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Etta James, Elmore James, BB King, Otis Rush, Magic Sam, Junior Wells, Guitar Slim and Sonny boy Williamson. I could go on and on. I love the Chess blues rhythm section, Fred below on drum and Willie Dixon on bass. They single handedly played on 90% of Chess's blues records.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Rory Gallagher is another great blues artist that was always true to his roots. He was a great guitarist and singer songwriter.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Check out Skip James. He was downright spooky in his delivery. His stuff has been popping up lately, like "Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues" from O Brother Where Art Thou, and "Devil Got My Woman Blues" was in the movie Ghost World.

I'm also a huge admirer of the Rev. Gary Davis.

I'm grateful for John Mayall, too. Look what he did for the blues!

As far as the obvious late 20th century giants, my faves are Howlin' Wolf, Willie Dixon, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker.

But number one with a bullet? Robert Johnson.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

You mentioned Coco Montoya....a friend of mine, Dover Weinburg played with him on his last tour. Dover plays keyboards and has several Hammond B3's among others, and is one of the locals I mentioned. He usually plays Tuesday nights at a local club called Duff's Garage in Portland, Oregon unless he is on tour. A really good guitar player named Chris Carlson plays with him on those sets, and Chris also plays in a blues band with his wife who is well known in the local blues scene as a singer, though her name escapes me at the moment.

If people get involved in their local scenes, they'll probably find similar good to great players who tour here and there and are really into the blues. Portland is well known for it's music scene, so maybe some cities aren't as fortunate, but I'm sure there is something out there locally for everyone to get into.

Greg
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

For old school blues, I really like Son House and Lighting Hopkins (hey! second vote for Lighting Hopkins!)
For more modern blues, I do like Texas style, all the big names, plus I got turned on to a couple of gritty Texas style bands I really love to listen to; BB Chun King and the Buddaheads, and Mene Gene Kelton and the Die Hards. Buddaheads reminds me of a ZZ Top/ SRV mix and Mene Gene is just over the top.

For Chicago style blues, I like Powder Blues Band and Downchild Blues Band, both bands that I spent many early adult club nights watching live.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

nyrkickazz1 wrote:
jimk wrote:Blind Blake (what a right hand!)
YES! Check out "Come On Boys Lets Do That Messin Around". Some incredible fingerpicking in that tune.
I'll have to look for that cut. Meanwhile, I'm still amazed at "West Coast Blues." I wanna finger pick like that when I grow up!

JimK
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

We can't let Long John Baldry slip by!!!

"Don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock n roll!!!"
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

Ain't nobody showin' no love for Bukka White? There's a direct link to Charley Patton right there. Love the Bukka-man!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I LOVE this thread!!!! I'm gonna end up with about a terabyte o' blues when I'm done!! My librray currently has most of the folks mentioned, but just a few tunes by each one....
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

bitzerguy wrote:For more modern blues, I do like Texas style, all the big names, plus I got turned on to a couple of gritty Texas style bands I really love to listen to; BB Chun King and the Buddaheads, and Mene Gene Kelton and the Die Hards. Buddaheads reminds me of a ZZ Top/ SRV mix and Mene Gene is just over the top.
Dean, if you like some modern Texas bands/players you need to check out Denny Freeman and Bugs Henderson if you haven't already; these two guys are some seriously good guitar players!

Denny's originally from Dallas but now lives in LA. His "Out of the Blue" is a killer record....unfortunately it's also out of print. "Twang Bang" is another great album.

Bugs is a wildman to the NHT degree. Oddly, he was born in California but grew up in Tyler, TX; just the opposite of Denny's current living arrangement. Great player with a mean, muscular style.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Thanks Mike! I'll give them a listen.

Charly, I have a very soft spot for Long John. I had a couple of great nights with him at our table in a club long burned down now, listening to Long John stories. A fabulous guy and a lot of fun live. He is missed.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”