Playing Lead Guitar

Putting music theory into practice
charlyg

Playing Lead Guitar

Post by charlyg »

I have just experienced another cool first! I was messing around listening to I'll play the blues for you and was looking at an online site that was explaining the chord progression, as it is a bit odd for the blues. Anyways, I have learned the minor pentatonic scale so I positioned myself at G and started the song. I soon found out I need to learn the extended scale, and also one or two more positions, but still, way cool! I'm just at the cusp of figuring out licks that sound fairly cool. I have NO speed, but as i listen to more blues, I find the black folks, other than Buddy, aren't all that quick, it;s more abot the feel. When I see one of the old greats play with one of the good white players, it's the white guy(not so much with Eric anymore, he's called Slow Hand for a reason) always going 100 miles an hour! The black dude is just chillin.....

I do have a question about bends. I doubt if I will ever be one of those that buys Slinkys and tunes down a step for a four semitone bend, but I need to get one or two. I have XL 10s, so I think I have the proper string gauge, my problem is, do you change what fret you would have normally landed on so as to bend up to the note,or are you bending to a note not in the scale? My guess is both the prebend and the bend notes need to be a part of the scale? If you detune, I can see how much easier that would be as you cover the "bend" from more places.

I wish I was thirty years younger learning all this stuff! I'm like a little kid with every new thing I learn!
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Playing Lead Guitar

Post by winston »

Charly,

According to Chris Dreja, Eric got his "slowhand" monicker one night when he was playing with Yardbirds and broke a string during a song that they were all frantically playing. Eric was was apparently somewhat bored with what they were doing so he took his time changing the string. The band came up with the nickname and teased him about it openly from then on.

The nickname stuck.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Hi Charly. I don't fully understand your question. Let's chat on the phone this week if it's convenient for you. I'll shoot you a PM.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I assumed it was for his style of play. He tends toward the melodic vs. the quick. I use that moniker for the guy I play with, he does tasty licks, never over done.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

charlyg wrote:I assumed it was for his style of play. He tends toward the melodic vs. the quick. I use that moniker for the guy I play with, he does tasty licks, never over done.
I know what you mean, most people have the same misconception as you did. I used to a member of the same club, until Mr. Dreja told a reporter one day the less savoury truth of the matter.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

OK, I got one thing figured out. A bend from the flatted fifth up to the fifth seems to work nicely.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

I think I'm in the same boat as you Charly - a bass player trying to learn how to play guitar.

The most common bend taught in workshops that I've attended and seen in videos is the bend to the tonic. So, if the song is in the key of E, the instructor will say something to the effect of "Play the E. That is the note you're striving to hit. Bend the [blank] string a [blank] tone until you hit that E." Or something like that.

To me that is harder than it sounds. To hit that exact two step bend, let's say. 'Cause if it's off, it will sound a little sour.

The easiest bend IMHO is to bend starting at the 4th. For one thing, it's the easiest place on the fretboard to find - it's right under the root of the chord on the next string. And if I'm able to get a full bend - I've hit the 5th. And if I'm not quite there - then I've hit the "blue note." It's all good. I'd rather play with "feeling" than have to "think."
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Post by tennis_nick »

Funny Coincidence... I'm doing the opposite!

Guitar player, trying to fiddle with a new bass!!!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

tennis_nick wrote:Funny Coincidence... I'm doing the opposite!

Well, there's your biggest issue, you are trying to fiddle on a bass. You should really fiddle on a fiddle!!!!!!
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Ha!! Nice one, Charly.

You really got me going on the blues with your 'Stormy Monday' thread and I've been playing it to death..... the chords and variations thereof, of course. I've pretty much mastered that lot and now I'm starting to work out a few solo bits and pieces and it's fun. However, not knowing much about scales does have it's drawbacks.

I've found a web site that has lots of tuition on the blues and I've subscribed to it. As of tonight I'm going to school!! :mrgreen:

FYI the site is guitarmojo.com
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Remember it's easier to bend further near the 12th fret. Example: Key of E, to bend from scale degree 4 to 5 (that's A to B) I would bend the B string on the 10th fret up a whole step.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

tennis_nick wrote:Funny Coincidence... I'm doing the opposite!

Makes sense Nick. That is the much more common direction to go. Casady started out as a (great) guitar player.
When I re-started on my musical journey I had absolutely no intentions of ever playing guitar.
In a story I have told before, it was actually Casady who told me to play guitar (as a means of becoming a better bass player). The funny thing is, since I quit my band two months ago, I’ve picked up my bass once (to record a track for a song I wrote) and I play guitar almost every day. It is just way too much fun.

jdogric12aolcom wrote:Remember it's easier to bend further near the 12th fret. Example: Key of E, to bend from scale degree 4 to 5 (that's A to B) I would bend the B string on the 10th fret up a whole step.

True, Jason, but I don’t have much trouble bending strings (on electric guitar) in the middle of the neck.
Maybe because of the way I was taught, in the very beginning, I have developed a possible bad habit – which I may try to cure when my teacher returns to the area in the summer. (Yea!) Unlike most blues guitar players, I anchor my third finger on the root, instead of the more common first finger. This does allow, however, to let my first finger hover right over the flat third. Then, when I want to play the fourth, I just slide my ring finger across to the next string and I bend (with only one finger) down (toward the floor) as opposed to the more common bending up toward the ceiling.

As far as your example - yes, when I’m in the “BB Box” on the high three strings, my third finger rests on the tonic on the B string. I’ll sometimes bend the B string to who-knows-where but more often bend the high E string.
tamborineman

Post by tamborineman »

Charly, glad to here you're having fun and not getting too frustrated.
I would suggest 9's at least to get started. Also try bending the third string down as well as up. This will help later down the road. If you are not yet using finger vibrato start now. A bend with a fat vibrato on the end is a sweet thing [clapton, bb king, j.beck, pagey etc.].
You don't say what kind of guitar you are using but neck radius can affect the ease of string bending. A flat fingerboard [i.e. LP Custom] is more difficult to bend on. Especially with a low action. A tighter radius like a Strat or L P Standard really makes a differance for the better. And raise that action up! IMHO of course :)
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I'm playing a Dot Studio with 10s for now. I have obtained an ash strat body, and a birdseye maple neck, so I will have a strat to practice on if I ever get it built. I am going to get the neck plate and screws this weekend to put the neck to the body and see where we stand. I will also need a bridge to check. It will also need a Tremelo.

I have yet to decide on hardware as I am not a Strat afficianado, so I don't know what aftermarket stuff to use in case I don't want stock.

The reason I am building a strat, I picked one up for the first time sitting on a couch and it was WAY easier to play than the Epi sitting down.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”