Little Richard

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
winston
Membership Admin

Little Richard

Post by winston »

How can we talk about rock and roll and not mention Little Richard? He has been a major influence from the very beginning of his career to all sorts performers in a variety of music genres.

An excerpt from the net.

"In a 1990 interview, Little Richard offered this explanation for the birth of rock: "I would say that boogie-woogie and rhythm & blues mixed is rock and roll."

His frenzied approach to music was fueled by a genuinely outrageous personality. He was born Richard Penniman during the Depression in Macon, Georgia, one of twelve children who grew up in poverty in the Deep South. As a youngster, he soaked up music - blues, country, gospel, vaudeville - which was part of the fabric of life in the black community. He learned to play piano from an equally flamboyant character named Esquerita (who also recorded rock and roll early on for Capitol Records).

Little Richard first recorded in a bluesy vein in 1951, but it was his tenure at Specialty Records beginning in 1955 that made his mark as a rock and roll architect. Working at Cosimo Matassa's now-legendary J&M Studio in New Orleans with producer Robert "Bumps" Blackwell and some of the Crescent City's finest musicians, Little Richard laid down a stunning succession of rock and roll sides over the next several years, including "Rip It Up," "Slippin' and Slidin'," "Lucille," "Jenny Jenny" and "Keep a Knockin'," in addition to the songs previously mentioned. He also appeared in rock and roll-themed movies such as Don't Knock the Rock and The Girl Can't Help It (both from 1956)."

Others, like Ike Turner for example, have laid claim to being the first rock and roll performer, but just look if you will at the contribution to this genre by Little Richard. He almost single handedly laid down the modern roots of rock and roll and inspired his contemporaries and those who followed to take their music that followed to new heights. He is a true pioneer in my opinion.

The now legendary but then very young, James Marshall (Jimi) Hendrix played in his band for a brief period. It show what an apprenticeship with a master can do for you. Especially after he had suffered for a few years on the Chitlin Circuit as a sideman for performers like Sam Cooke and Jackie Wilson.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
peewee
Intermediate Member

Re: Little Richard

Post by peewee »

I love this man - The undisputed Queen of Rock! I actually have a pressing of that first Speciality recording in my collection, but it's so completely unplayable now that it's more a keepsake than anything else. To me, Richard Penniman is Rock & Roll.

Really cool to see Eskew Reeder's name mentioned in the above text. If you've never heard of him or his music, I highly recommend it. You can still find a number of Esquerita recordings available; think Little Richard singing in a baritone. Eskew Reeder was a native of Greenville, SC and a gritter, more flamboyant version of Little Richard.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Never be another like him! First LR song I heard was "Good Golly Miss Molly)..I was seven years old and spinning 45's at a party when I spied that black and yellow Speciality label in the stack. As the needle touched the groove my life changed..not kidding! Now, I was already into Jerry Lee so the piano was not completly new to me..but that voice and that intensity!! I fipped the record and expected a lesser thrill..wrong..Hey-Hey-Hey..still my favorite Litlle Richard song...at that point my sould was lost ro RnR!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

There's no denying his talent and influence! Excellent songwriter and performer. Thanks for bringing it up. :D
britye
Intermediate Member

Post by britye »

Billy Preston played with LR too..
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

"In a 1990 interview, Little Richard offered this explanation for the birth of rock: "I would say that boogie-woogie and rhythm & blues mixed is rock and roll."
Pretty much right on the nail! Although I have always thought of boogie as nothing more than fast blues.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”