Never too late?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Re: Never too late?

Post by sowhat »

longhouse wrote:If a performance or sentiment is HONEST age is not an issue.
The main problem here, as i see it, is that the performer may consider himself and his performance honest but public may not believe him due to some factors like age, wealth, etc. I mean, he can be 100 % sincere in considering himself a poor teenager or twentysomething but grey hair/bald head, growing belly and bank account may be the factors that'll make them doubt the performer's integrity or whatever. That's like, "Look inside my heart — i'm a teenager", — "I'm not an autopsist, how can i look inside your heart? Besides, what i see doesn't look like a teenager at all".
Of course one might say it's silly to pretend you're still a teenager when in fact the grave's already calling your name. Still, that happens sometimes; and that doesn't mean these people are not sincere, they just see the world and themselves in a way public refuses to see them.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
mfb

Post by mfb »

No, no ... old punks never die, they just turn into dirty old men with dirty thoughts, a brown paper back filled with boiled lollies in the back of the limo, and with a police record to boot, to give them their "street cred". :lol:
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I wouldn't have thought listening to The Police would help with punk cred... Oh, you mean the OTHER kind of police record...
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Speaking of age, weight and wealth... if general public says that a rebellious musician shouldn't be old, fat and wealthy, wouldn't it be really rebellious to be a rebellious musician who's old, fat and wealthy?
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

sowhat wrote:Speaking of age, weight and wealth... if general public says that a rebellious musician shouldn't be old, fat and wealthy, wouldn't it be really rebellious to be a rebellious musician who's old, fat and wealthy?
Would 2 out of 3 get me over the line?
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

antipodean wrote:Would 2 out of 3 get me over the line?
If even one may be enough to discard you for some... then two would definitely be enough to get you back. :wink:
mfb

Post by mfb »

sowhat wrote:Speaking of age, weight and wealth... if general public says that a rebellious musician shouldn't be old, fat and wealthy, wouldn't it be really rebellious to be a rebellious musician who's old, fat and wealthy?
Well, you see, there's a problem right there.

It's not the "general public" that says that - it is a very specific market segment.

In which case, if indeed you are fat, old and have a few dollars secreted away (I'm presuming that when you say "wealthy" you mean wealth as in avarice instead of wealth of the body, soul and mind), one could perhaps try for a another market segment more aligned to one's present state of visual marketing possibilities, and I can only think of a couple.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Yes, when i say "wealth" here i mean money and material goods.
Well, sometimes you don't lose all the "once-target audience" — as some put it, "the audience grows with us", so some listeners will stay with the performer cause he's "a symbol of their youth" (some, on the other hand, would leave for the same reason, of course...). As for looking for another segment, there may be two problems here. First, the new "target audience" may already have its own idols and doesn't really need a new one; second, you cannot get rid of your past completely, it will always haunt you, and that means that new "target audience" should be sympathetic — or at least tolerant — for the message (image, thoughts, songs, etc) from your past.
gray

Post by gray »

I don't know who said it first, but Captain Beefheart said it in "Mirror Man", I believe : "As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old."
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

Not really punk, but check out the biography of Fred Cole from the band Dead Moon.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Check out "CockSparrer", the band Malcom Mclaren tried to get before he put the pistols together. They just put out a new record,(captain oi records) and still tour, and are well in to their 50s. These guys are old, fat , bald, and will blow most bands over half their age off the stage.Charlie Harper from the "UK Subs" I think is in his 60s and still rocks it up. The "Buzzcocks" still seem to be going.

If you're heart is in it, people will pick up on it. If you are a poser, people will pick up on that no matter what age you are.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

To me, punk is just the music. Always a Ramones fan, I never really thought about how they looked or acted. I just really, really liked the music. But I was also never a part of "the scene", either. I probably never thought about the Ramones "image" because of the honesty that I perceived. This is just who they were, not what they wanted to be. And the music was/is really good.

I'm a big fan of punk music, but not of all punk music. Take "No Trend" from D.C. They have some great material and some lousy material. Really bad. But the good stuff is gold.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

So to answer the question, yeah, I'm almost 40 and someday I'll start a punk band. If anyone has a problem with it, they can kiss my ......! :D
Low End Lover

Post by Low End Lover »

rkbsound wrote:So to answer the question, yeah, I'm almost 40 and someday I'll start a punk band. If anyone has a problem with it, they can kiss my ......! :D
I'll be 37 and my wife will be 36 this month and she is teaching herself the guitar and I am the bassist. We just bash about and see where it goes. In some ways, I think we are more punk now than when we met doing underground radio 20 years ago. Punk for me is about doing what you want and not bothering to consult convention as opposed to a genre of music begun in the 70's. I mean, punk is many things to many people, but here is a favorite example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5iI0__9S1c

This is 1965! I love it!

LEL
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

Thanks for putting the Monks video up. They are definitely unique in Rock history. Something of a precursor to the Velvet Underground's angrier tracks, like "Black Angel Death Song".

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”