Spotlight On - The Janglemen

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
winston
Membership Admin

Spotlight On - The Janglemen

Post by winston »

This week’s guest artist is John Biscuti of the Janglemen.

John is a very busy and talented young man. His contribution to his bands sound can be found without too much effort on even the most casual listeners’ part. He is without a doubt a key and integral part of their classic sound. But he is not alone as we will soon discover.

The Janglemen

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll recently caught up with John and put him under the spotlight.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

John first of all let me thank for allowing me to interview you for the forum.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

So let’s get started John. The Janglemen? That’s an interesting name. How did you select it and what is it about the name that seems so familiar, yet new and fresh?

John

The name came from the mind of our fearless leader and fellow forumite, Glenn Wall - an homage to our rather jangly sound, which comes courtesy of Rickenbackers, naturally!

There is a lot of familiarity present in our music - we certainly wear our influences on our sleeves. But I think it's also apparent that our music is slightly left of center, and lots of fun too, which has made things more fresh.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

John I believe that you play both bass and guitar? Tell us how you came to play each of those instruments and also what other instruments do you play?

John

I do play both. I started on bass a little over seven years ago and got myself a guitar soon after. When I was 14, it was all about Metallica. I got a bass and was in a band immediately. Bass is always my #1 - right now i'm about 63-35 in favor of bass - but the guitar has always been an invaluable songwriting tool for me.

I do like to learn a new instrument whenever possible - the instruments I can play decently are bass, double bass, guitar/pedal & lap steel, piano/keyboards/pitched percussion, and mandolin. I'm learning country fiddle at the moment - I love bluegrass, and it's too late in life to become a classical violinist!

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

You have formal music training don’t you? Tell us what made you travel that road and how formal training has helped you with your musical career?

John

I do have a formal training, and am a semester away from having my degree in music, with a focus in composition. I believe in playing to ones strengths and it was very apparent from the beginning that music was my strong point. I certainly wasn't cut out to be a CPA or something! I have no idea where it's going to take me, but with a little luck and some more practice, I think i'll find my place.

Having the expertise that I have has lead me to doing a lot of arranging for singer/songwriters who have songs, but need full-band arrangements - this was in fact my main role in the making of "Tearjerker and 9 Others". I've also played on quite a few sessions on quite a few instruments!

I've also written a number of songs with pretty cool arrangements and instrumentation - stay tuned for it this spring (with a little luck!)

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

Does anyone else in the band have any formal music training?

John

As far as I know, Glenn's totally self taught. Our drummer, Mike, has had a few lessons here and there over the years, but is mostly self-taught.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

Tell us how academia in general views those of us who do not have any formal training and why do they believe that their take on gaining an in depth understanding of music from a technical viewpoint is so essential to being good at your craft?

John

Academia can be condescending to fault, in my humble opinion. I've always kept my ears open, and am fully aware that some of the most beautiful, or most complex music, has come from people who have no idea what they're doing from a technical standpoint.

I just like knowing things. Strumming a guitar or mashing at a piano mindlessly wouldn't be very fulfilling for me - I want to know why what I do works or doesn't work, who said it worked originally, etc. That's not a dig against anybody.

There's a great local band that I sit in with on keyboards from time to time (and may become a full-time member of), and the songs are unlike anything i've ever heard - and they're coming from a totally untrained mind. That can be pretty frustrating when i'm banging my head against the wall trying to compose music, and it's coming so naturally to someone who doesn't know what I know. But on the other hand, those people need trained musicians - to bounce ideas off of, to make things that don't sound quite right right, or for help when branching off into using instruments other than the guitar - a trend I have been seeing quite a bit, in all forms of music. I have been writing a lot of horn and string parts lately, helping translate roughly hummed melodies into notes on a page.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

What effect does your formal music training have on practice and rehearsals?

John

Well, my focus has been on composition, not performance. The performers learn good rehearsal practice etiquette - I'm just the ideas-man with a cigarette and unkempt hair. Ha! The only effect I would say it's had is that in rehearsals, i'm usually in charge of what the musicians are doing. I know what sounds right and what doesn't, and 98% of the time, I know why immediately. I've developed a good ear.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

Let’s talk about your latest CD project. Tell us about the project and what process you used to record the various tracks and who generally played what?

John

I've got a 24 track digital studio down in the basement here. It's painfully outdated, but still works for what I do. Mike and i switched on and off at the board during the sessions. He did the final mixing and mastering - he's great at it and did a killer job on this disc.

We'd always do drums first. I'd like to do more live recording on our next disc - I think it's fun and keeps things really fresh - and also helps keep our chops up at playing the songs.

Glenn and I both played rhythm and lead guitars throughout the disc - I believe he played some jingle bells or tambourine as well. I played bass, keyboards, a bit of mandolin, and even used an old typewriter of mine as a percussion instrument for one tune!

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

John, The Janglemen seem to have intentionally gone for a certain sound in your recordings. What are the essential elements to that sound and why have you focused on creating that particular audio tapestry?

John

I'd have to say that catchy melodies, harmonies, and big guitars are all keys to the classic powerpop sound we were after. Glenn is a great singer - his voice is perfect for our style. We did have to tutor Mike once in a while on some drum styles - Glenn's a big fan of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and often wanted Mike to play more like Tom's drummer, Stan Lynch. Sometimes we'd be going for a Bydsy-type thing too, and i'd have to pull out whatever Byrds LP was close at hand and we'd try to pick out some of the drum parts.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

Tell us all about your gear. What is favorite equipment for a gig?

John

As a bass player, my Rickenbacker 4003 bass, modded by Dale Fortune, has been my #1 bass for six years this March. I've used many, many other basses over that time - I like a good Fender Jazz or Musicman for certain applications - but my Ricks are #1 for me. I recently picked up a Markbass LMKII head with an SWR 4x10 cabinet and am loving the setup.

Haven't gigged on guitar in a while, but it's my Rickenbacker 330 or 660/12, or my old hot-rodded Epiphone 335, through my Vox AC-30, with a smattering of pedals at my disposal. I couldn't leave home without my Analogman-modded Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

You are a young very talented musician John, where do you see yourself in five to ten years.

John

Hopefully doing what I want to do! Certainly involved in the music industry somehow, touring or working on a studio, or even doing film or television music. I also have training in journalism, so I wouldn't be opposed to working in that field, but I'd certainly be working as a musician or a composer somehow.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

John this is a huge question so forgive me for lumping this all together. I believe that this question will tell us a lot about the Janglemen, probably a lot more than we already know. So tell me about your band mates. Who are they what do they play, what are their musical tastes and also what is your collective musical passion?

John

Glenn is our leader, our conceptualizer, our chief songwriter, and one of the foremost authorities on 60's pop/rock i've ever spoken to. I believe he's played in some great bands in the Chicago area and maybe in California as well. He's a great guitar player with great taste in gear, which is probably why we get along so well! We're both huge fans of the classics, but I have to give him an enormous amount of credit for turning me onto The Band - they've opened up a lot of new doors for me.

Mike is my hetero-life mate. He's probably drummed in every band and every project i've ever participated in - he's hugely in-demand locally, and for good reason. He's just an excellent, solid drummer, a sweet guy, and my best friend. I've never seen eye-to-eye, musically, with someone the way I have with him. His musical tastes range quite a bit, but I do know that he listens to "Echoes" every single day!

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

You use Rickenbacker 6 and 12 string guitars and a Rickenbacker bass in your music. Why do you use Rickenbacker? Do you use any other brands?

Well, there's simply no substitute for a Rickenbacker, is there? Especially when it comes to the basses and the 12-strings. It's just that perfect guitar sound i've always had in my head. I've got an Epiphone 335 with Seymour Duncan pickups that sounds and plays fantastic. I love Fender Jazzmasters & Teles too.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

John you have your CD advertised on your website. How else are you marketing this product?

John

Oh boy, you'd have to ask Glenn about that one. Whatever he's doing, it's gotten our name everywhere. Even though the album only came out at the end of the year, we were listed as one of the Top 100 Powerpop albums of the year by a popular blog. We've also been reviewed by people all over the world - Spain, italy, Japan as well, I think. We've been on web radio. He really knows what he's doing.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

I get the impression that music is a big part of your life. Do you live for music or does music live in you?

John

Music has nested in me, and it's not leaving anytime soon. It's simply impossible to escape it - but why would I want to? It's brought so much joy - and meaning -to my life.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

Who has been your biggest influence?

John

The Beatles. I've listened to all of their albums hundreds of times each, and yet they still manage to sound fresh - and surprise me. They get my creative juices flowing like nobody else.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

Tell us about the best thing that has ever happened to you in your musical career.

John

I can't point to one single moment, so i'd have to say it's being interviewed about my music!

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

Who are your bass and guitar heroes and why?

John

My bass hero is Paul McCartney. Second would be Brian Wilson, for the bass lines he wrote - that were played by Carol Kaye, Ray Pohlman, and Lyle Ritz. My favorite upright player is Ray Brown.

I think a really underrated guitar player is Paul Simon. I learned my folk fingerpicking technique from him - not directly, just from listening and trying to ape his style - he's a hell of a picker! I like Johnny Marr's work with The Smiths. I've always admired Django Reinhardt and Charlie Christian - doesn't mean I could play like 'em, though! David Gilmour was an early influence. I love George Harrison too.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

What advice do you have for those who want to become a good musician?

John

Keep your ears open, listen to anything once. Find yourself a good teacher and take some lessons. Learn a bit of theory - it won't bite, I promise!

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

Where can we listen to and then go to buy your music?

John

You can listen at http://www.myspace.com/janglemen, or http://cdbaby.com/cd/janglemen. You can also purchase the album on iTunes, or at the CD Baby site. We don't have physical CD's at this time, but I think we're going to be printing some up in the near future.

It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll

John on behalf of It’s Only Rock ‘N Roll and The Rickresource forum I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to participate in this most enjoyable interview.

Please keep us posted on any developments with The Janglemen. As you know, I am a very keen supporter of your band. I hope you manage to sell a a kazillion CD’s. What a thought? Wouldn’t that be nice?

John

I hope so too Brian! Thank you, this was fun. Glenn and I will certainly keep you and the rest of the forum informed about any Janglemen news.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Spotlight On - The Janglemen

Post by winston »

John has given a keen insight in this interview to how a band can come together from two divergent musical cultures. One multi instrument individual who has obviously been classically trained and two very competent self taught musicians. It really works well for these guys. They are producing great music as a result of their collaborative efforts.

I would have liked to have asked Glenn a question or two and perhaps I'll take that opportunity now.

One question in particular that is intriguing to me is how did you and John get together on this project?

The other question is one that I asked John and he deferred to you. How are you getting the message out about your music? In other words what marketing strategy are you using?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Hey Brain, thanks to you and John for the fine interview. We fell together almost as randomly as Elvis going into Sun to record a record for his mother. I knew John's name as one of the 3-4 that I recognized of forum members in the area here. I met him once out at the Rick thing in NJ last April(?) I had no more than 3-4 songs at that time, which I was thinking of perhaps turning into an EP. At least one of them was 7-8 years old and another that was nearly as old that that I just found one day, going through old songs. So I thought of seeing if anyone wanted to bash out some tunes, with a vague idea of releasing them. I had no music connections here, and thought I had seen a post somewhere by John saying he worked in a studio or something. So I contacted him, told him I needed a studio, a bass player and a drummer, preferably on an island somewhere. Turns out that is John and Mike in a nutshell. After the first or second time we started working I thought we should blow it out into something more, even though what we had at that time was quite rough. There was definitely something good going on. So we started recording, and I wrote some more between studio dates. I've never recorded new songs with a band that's never played them. That was fun, everyone shooting from the hip musically, not knowing what it would sound like 'til we did it. I remember making up the intro for "Tearjerker" two seconds before we recorded that guitar track, thinking "okay, what the hell should I do with this simple part. It needs something?" and John dropping a little 12 string thing on top of it when he did the other rhythm track. And thinking what Mike did with the drums was cool. I don't think we gave him any input on that other than the speed at which we'd do it, and to feel free to try whatever he wanted. That was how we did at least half of the stuff. John and Mike helped with some on the fly arranging on a song or two "lose this verse," and "stop here" kinda stuff. And John pulled some solos and other licks out of the air. The last song we finished is one of the first ones we started. I just didn't think it was done until then. Some stuff didn't work. So we went onto other tunes. John said the Heartbreakers were a main influence, but along the way we kicked around a lot of names, from Motown, early Elton John Band, the Jam, and probably six others, whatever we thought might give the next tune a different groove. Somewhere in between all this I quit a day job, took on a few freelance gigs, lost a girlfriend, and found a good friend to do our cover art while he was in China. But that's only Rock 'n Roll, eh? As far as promoting it, I'm not sure we're doing any of that. We put it out. We have a MySpace page. The day after it went online a guy in Japan offered to press and distribute it there. And others have written wanting to review it. So, that's been cool.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Glenn,

All in all this has been most informative for me and I'll bet it was for those who have stopped by to find out how you guys managed to create such great music together.

Thanks for letting me shine my "spotlight" on how you are marketing the product. In case you have not figured it out by now, I love the business of the music business as much as I love the products it produces.

Good luck with your music guys. You deserve lots of airplay and exposure.

studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Hey Brian, re: the business, other than the fun of playing with John and Mike, I thought that it (the business) being as it is now might make this a really interesting time to do something new and put it out, what with the big labels getting payback for their bad deeds over the past two decades, and radio (here in the U.S.) being completely irrelevant, and there being alternate ways for people to hear one's stuff (the RRF for example.) And it has. Other than that, I thought it was time to get in some playing time on my Ricks, but I just ended up using John's guitars, and one loaned from a brother of mine (Doah! But they have some nice guitars as well.) As for the Janglemen name, I thought it was high time that someone tipped their hat to the genre. Even going back to my high school band, my friends in it were, and still are (they still all play), Janglemen as well, if not in name in spirit. I'm sure the same is true for a lot of people in this forum. I was amazed, setting up our stuff on CD Baby and MySpace and the like, that among the seemingly hundreds of subcategories of music there, there is no jangle pop or jangle rock category. Go figure.
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Great stuff, guys! Best wishes to JB, Glenn and Mike with the Janglemen and everything else they pursue in the music world....... seems like you've got the bases loaded - now hit some BIG homers!! :mrgreen:
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

You know Glenn there are so many genre categories these days it's mind boggling. This comment: "I like both kinds of music, country and western" used to said as a joke. Now it's a reality. So what genre did you pick?

studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Thanks, Howard. Well, Brian, the J-men like both kinds of music, pop and rock. I think on CD Baby we're down as 60s and 70s rock (real descriptive there, eh?) and something else, maybe garage? Coming from the midwest, where it's freezing half of the year, I consider myself as a veteran of basement bands, not garage ones. I think I jammed a garage in the south suburbs of Chgo once. And hey, our album was recorded in a basement as well. I remember when "New Wave" started to get overused, every band that broke out in '78-81 was called that.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

studiotwosession wrote:As far as promoting it, I'm not sure we're doing any of that. We put it out. We have a MySpace page. The day after it went online a guy in Japan offered to press and distribute it there. And others have written wanting to review it. So, that's been cool.
For me, this points to the quality of musical ideas to come out of this creative collaboration. Reading the descriptions of the recording process only backs that up. To me, both The Janglemen and Airway Lanes are a much needed breath of fresh air.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”