Famous Musicians, Artists - That You Have Met

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
winston
Membership Admin

Famous Musicians, Artists - That You Have Met

Post by winston »

I am doing a bit of fishing here, no surprise there really but I would really like to hear from those of you who have met famous musicians, singers, songwriters, producers etc. Perhaps you could share your stories here and tell us how you came to be in such close proximity and what the nature of the conversation was.

Even if the story has been told on the forum before in some manner I would like to compile that information all in one place.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
bosco64
Veteran RRF member

Re: Famous Musicians, Artists - That You Have Met

Post by bosco64 »

Well Brian, I've talked to you over the phone, does that count? :mrgreen:

Seriously, I met Vince Neil of Motley Crue a few years ago when my friends' band was on the same bill as Vince's band. He was a pretty decent guy and definately wasn't what I expected. No ego whatsoever. Guitarist Will Ray (from the Hellecasters) gave a couple of guitar clinics (sponsored by G&L Guitars) at my local dealer. My wife and I had dinner with Will and his wife after the clinics. Real down to earth guy and a great guitarist to boot. My biggest thrill was seeing Steve Howe at a Cleveland rest stop driving home from a friend's wedding in Detroit around May 2004. He was sitting by himself and I didn't want to bother him, but I convinced myself to walk up to him and say hello. He was very gracious, signed my lunch receipt, and thanked me for supporting the band. That was pretty cool. I also saw Steve Hackett play at a local venue and he signed my Genesis "Foxtrot" CD after the show. That was pretty cool too.
"Keep smiling, keep your mouth shut, and nobody gets hurt!" :mrgreen:
Don't bust Mike's chops...
'05 4003 BBR; '99 4001V63 FG; '96 4003S Trans Blue (custom refin from Paul W.)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Just a list for now:
Chris Squire
Steve Howe
Patrick Moraz
Jon Anderson (jammed with him)
Alan White
Mike Rutherford
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Steve Hackett
Kenny Loggins
Percy Jones
John Goodsall
Warren Zevon
Janet Jackson
Annie Haslam
Jon Camp
Rick Wakeman
Roger Newell
Flora Purim
Airto
Larry Coryell
Mark Egan
Lyle Mays
Chick Corea
Todd Rundgren
Bela Fleck
Vic Wooten
Arlo Guthrie
Nana Vasconcelos
Gary Willis
Scott Kinsey
Kirk Covington
Scott Henderson

That's all I can remember at the moment.
bosco64
Veteran RRF member

Post by bosco64 »

jps wrote:Just a list for now:
Chris Squire
Steve Howe
Patrick Moraz
Jon Anderson (jammed with him)
Alan White
Mike Rutherford
Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Steve Hackett
Kenny Loggins
Percy Jones
John Goodsall
Warren Zevon
Janet Jackson
Annie Haslam
Jon Camp
Rick Wakeman
Roger Newell
Flora Purim
Airto
Larry Coryell
Mark Egan
Lyle Mays
Chick Corea
Todd Rundgren
Bela Fleck
Vic Wooten
Arlo Guthrie
Nana Vasconcelos
Gary Willis
Scott Kinsey
Kirk Covington
Scott Henderson

That's all I can remember at the moment.
I need to get out more... :shock:
"Keep smiling, keep your mouth shut, and nobody gets hurt!" :mrgreen:
Don't bust Mike's chops...
'05 4003 BBR; '99 4001V63 FG; '96 4003S Trans Blue (custom refin from Paul W.)
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Nicko McBrain. 1988. Drum clinic tour. I got to play his drums on stage with him standing beside me. Highlight of my senior year in high school for sure
Grace Slick - Met her while she was touting her art at a local gallery last year. Charming woman to say the least.
Bruce Dickinson
Adrian Smith
Chuck Schuldiner (RIP)
King Diamond
Paul Dianno - Got to spend an afternoon drinking with him and shooting pool. It was pretty crazy.
Lemmy twice. The second time I was backstage trading shots of whiskey with him. I am sure he remembers it better than I do.
Ruyter from Nashville Pu$$y - She made out with me right in front of her husband, who is also in the band. "Don't worry, he knows I'm going home with him!" hahahaha...good times.
Johnny Rod
Solitude Aeturnus
Lizzy Borden
John Sykes
Scott Gorham
Tommy Aldridge (biggest arsehole on the planet)
Pat Travers
Terry Bozzio
Rod Morgenstein
Dave Weckl
Gene Hoglan
Metal Church
Kerry King
Dave Lombardo
Testament

My list can go on and on with metal guys that most have never heard of. I used to have my own online CD store and do work for Century MEdia and Metal Blade Records which gave me access to lots of bands and concerts.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Hmmm,

The Who-all four originals
ZZ Top
Procol Harum
Roger McGuinn
Cheap Trick
It's A Beautiful Day
Black Oak Arkansas (gad)
Doobie Bros
Point Blank
Joe King Carrasco
Crosby, Stills and Nash
Stray Cats
Steve Earle
Moody Blues
Jethro Tull

Some of these I introduced on stage, and one I actually partcipated with on stage.

These are the ones I can remember...
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Oh, stories.
When introducing Procol Harum I was told by Gary Brooker, to make sure I got off the stage before the floor lights came up. I figured, no problem. After the introduction, the venue was totally dark. I couldn't see 'at all', and when groping for my way off I stumbled into Brookers Baby Grand. I lost my footing and basically crawled off the stage when the lights came up.

Met up with the Who in their hotel room in Dallas after their show. Nothing remarkable, except I remember John Entwistle had a new Polaroid which developed pics in like 10 seconds or something (this was 1972). He was taking pictures of every persons nose who came into the room, and then plastered the pictures on one wall of the hotel bedroom.

ZZ Top had just come out with their first LP on London Records,and had little following, and no entourage. They were simply a band trying to make it. After the show my then fiance hooked them up with dates and we partied at my apartment. We didn't know what else to do with them, since the station I worked for was more or less given the task of taking care of them. There's a good reason why they have those beards...

It's A Beautiful Day, drove around all afternoon in my bosses van and got drunk.

Appeared on stage with Cheap Trick on one number, which I can't recall what it was. I was given a marimba (that I still have) and along with two promotional guys from Epic Records we went on stage and sung along during the groups finale. We were a tad blotto at the time.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Here's my list (what I can recall off the top of my head):

Alice Cooper
David Gilmour
Paul Stanley
John Entwistle
Chris Slade
Todd Rundgren
Randy California
Ed Cassady
Paul Kantner
Gary Brooker
Tommy Shaw
Dennis DeYoung
Chuck Panzonno
John Panzonno
Peter Frampton
Joey Molland
Mike Gibbins
Ron Wood
Don Brewer
Derek Smalls
Alan Lanier
Buck Dharma
Eric Bloom
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

bosco64 wrote:Well Brian, I've talked to you over the phone, does that count? :mrgreen:

Hahahahaha! That does not count but being a good friend does. Thanks Ron. 8)
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Geddy Lee - when he released MFH

Thanks to RIC:
Chris Squire - at the RIC 75th
and also at NAMM shows:
Randy Bachman
Rick Derringer
Carmine Appice
Vinny Appice
Bootsy Collins
Shavo Odadjian
Robert Trujillo
Scott Rockenfeld
Eddie Jackson
Joe Satriani
Steve Morse
Dave LaRue
Tony Levin
Will Lee

There are more from the 75th and NAMM shows, but I'll be here all day typing.

Pat DiNizio - and got to play bass on "Blood And Roses" with him and Dave Pascoe's band Thanks Dave!! :D
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
scotty

Post by scotty »

Bob geldof in Robbie Coltrane's house jamming with an acoustic.Oh yeah strange things happen!
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Deen Castronovo an Neal Schon together. Great guys.
Don Dokken and his solo band (John Norum, Mikkey Dee, Billy White) - unfortunately I got to see Don shooting up.
I've met Yngwie a few times. The last time was the pleasant one. Spent an afternoon with him and it was phenomenal.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I worked in hotels between 1969 and 1993 and in doing so, I met quite a number of artists. Off the top of my head, they include Eddie Arnold (super nice guy), Hank Williams Jr., Greg Almond (that's another story), Dickie Betts, AC/DC (partied with them on their tour bus), Steve Morse, Rossington/Collins band (one of the few to offer stage passes), Willie Nelson (he was playing in the hotel's bar when I first met him), Bob Seger (another super nice guy), Bruce Springteen (he was still an opening act). There were a number of others that I can't even think of.

Also met a few others at RIC's 75th Anniversary. In addition, I was also fortunate to meet Buddy Whittington a couple of years ago at a FDP jam (I was too timid to jam with him).
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

James Burton: I was staying at the Bell Age Hotel in Hollywood(now the London Hotel, West Hollywood) about 14 years ago for the weekend for a friend's wedding(hey, they're still happily married with kids!). The night before the wedding we went out, and there was a line for the valet. I was driving my `48 Chevrolet Fleetline, and as I stood near the valet booth, I noticed a pair of older gentlemen commenting on my car. I struck up a conversation with the two men, and after a minute or so I recognized the face of one of the gents, but couldn't match a name to his face. I excused my lack of manners, introduced myself, and commented that he looked like someone famous, but I couldn't remmeber his name, to which he replied, "I'm James Burton", upon which I felt quite foolish for not recognizing him(this happened before once when I stood next to Susanna Hoffs in a club, and "couldn't remember where I knew her from, or remember her name", but that time I didn't introduce myself). he and his friend had been playing with Jerry Lee Lewis, and were also staying at the hotel, and were likewise waiting for the valet. We had an intersting talk about guitar amps, guitars, and old cars. He was quite a charming fellow.

Robyn Hitchcock: A girl who was interested in me at the time and noticed me at an RH show turned out to be a regular customer at the supermarket I was then working at, and coincidentally was also friends with RH's new bride at the time. She invited me to a show with her, and we were able to go back stage before the show, meet Robyn and his new Misses, and chat for a bit. He was also quite a charming fellow, as well as being quite witty.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Spencer Davis in a bar in the SF Valley in the mid eighties
George Thorogood at work Universal Music Publishing Group last year
Lee SKlar at Namm about 5 years ago
Tommy Lee, at his house while changing smoke alarm batteries 3 years ago.
All the guys at the 75th celebration at the House of Blues.

That's about it.....

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”