In Search Of Jerry Lordon Recordings

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
admin
Site Admin

In Search Of Jerry Lordon Recordings

Post by admin »

I understand that Jerry Lordon did make a few recordings in the late 1950s and perhaps the early 1960s.

I have learned that Decca used some of Jerry's material to introduce a couple of artists. Apparently the recording career of Mike Preston began with the Lordon composition "A House A Car And A Wedding Ring." In what was to be a more successful career career Decca used "I've Waited So Long" for Anthony Newley. It also seems that Lordon joined the Johnnie Spence Orchestra on the Dr. Kildare theme.

I am wondering if it is possible to obtain any of these recordings. It would be great to compare Lordon's compositions for the Shadows with this early work.

Lordon could sure write them. My question is could he play them well too!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Re: In Search Of Jerry Lordon Recordings

Post by admin »

I have found another reference to a Jerry Lordon recording from 1960. "Who Could Be Bluer"? entered the UK charts on February 20, 1960. It reached the 14th position and remained on the charts for six weeks. If anyone finds it, I would be most interested in hearing it.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Re: In Search Of Jerry Lordon Recordings

Post by admin »

Thanks goes out to Roy Clough for finding "Who Could Be Bluer Than Me" by Jerry Lordon.

This is quite a nice number and an innocent one at that by today's standards. That this is the case will gain support from the lyrics which I have taken the liberty of transcribing. I suspect those that see these lyrics will be on a short list,

Who Could Be Bluer - Jerry Lordon

Who could be bluer than me
That's someone I'd really like to see
All the things I planned
My castles in the sand
Being washed away by the sea

I know I'm feeling sorry for myself
I feel just like I'm sittin' on the shelf
Got no friends at all
No one comes to call
And a silver dollar's all my worldly wealth

Sun never shines in my backyard
Fate never deals a welcome card
Same old troubles every day
I'm gonna pack my bags and go my way

Boss tells me I'm through
Don't know what I'll do
Things ain't working like they oughta be

Maybe one fine day
Things'l go my way
'Til then I'm blue as I can be
And who could be bluer than me

This composition is very reminiscent of something that would have been recorded by either Buddy Holly or Ricky Nelson. The opening sliding chord on the guitar is so very close to that used in The Shadows' "Shindig" that it may have inspired Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch. The strings in this song are also typical of the day and add to limited orchestration. The surprise is the modulation in the last verse.

It is great to have one of the very few recordings of Jerry Lordon as he is far better known for his instrumental compositions, most notably Apache which rocketed The Shadows to fame in 1960.

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”