Hank vs. Nokie... 2004

Performing and Interpreting Shadows' Music
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Hank vs. Nokie... 2004

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

I recall a BOTV for "Sleepwalk" in Clough's (and if this thread belongs in there, feel free to move it, Peter). Below, courtesy of YouTube, are vids of Hank and Nokie playing Sleepwalk: both from 2004.

Whose version do you like better? :|

Hank's:

Nokie's:
(Note: Sleepwalk starts about 14 seconds into it... and there's other music after the 3:33 mark.)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Hank vs. Nokie... 2004

Post by sloop_john_b »

I much prefered Hank's; part of the reason being that I could not stand to listen to the bass tone on Nokie's version.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

sloop_john_b wrote:I much prefered Hank's; part of the reason being that I could not stand to listen to the bass tone on Nokie's version.
Ditto that.

Elaborating further, I prefer Hank's version both tonally and stylistically.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

paologregorio wrote: Ditto that.

Elaborating further, I prefer Hank's version both tonally and stylistically.
Yup, I prefer Hank's cleaner tone and tasteful use of the Strat whammy bar.
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

Hank's (or I guess we should really say the Shadows', since Bruce at least is also there...) version is very enjoyable.
The Ventures' sound is not nearly as good (here) - the performance however is that of a master guitarist - brilliant, and quite complex, and very different - perhaps aimed at a public who know the tune too well to hear just a straightforward rendition of the tune?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for this head to head contest between Hank Marvin and and Nokie Edwards, Andrew. This is a great idea and the clips chosen certainly highlight the playing styles of each of these well known guitarists.

In deciding who gets the nod overall, there are so many factors to consider. As one focuses on different factors I see a tally sheet appear before my eyes, each one being ticked off in turn. Contray to being ticked off ( :) ) I found this excercise most enjoyable.

To my ear, Hank has spent more time in preparing his recording of Sleepwalk. Certainly there is his choice of amplifier and effects that provide him with a clarity and depth of tone that soothes the listener with each note. No note is wasted and each one is sustained in this performance slowly pulling the audience in. He is the Pied Piper of the guitar instrumental as witnessed by the audiences in his 2004 Tour. Hank's Fender Stratocaster is switched to the single coil bridge pickup as he serves up a main course of vintage tones masterfully. For desert, he adds the sweetness of the vibrato with the tone trickling tantilizingly from his fingers as they glide over the mellow maple fretboard. Unassuming and subdued in his playing throughout, the listener is completely at ease. His performance is solid and safe in many respects, features of his playing with which we have become accustomed over the years. He is ably backed by band members who have done everything to assist him. Just the right touch of rhythm, drums and bass.

Nokie Edwards introduces the listener to an entirely different guitar cuisine and gently educates the palette as he graciously serves his five course meal. His appetizer is somewhat bland, a seemingly inherent feature of the Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups in his Hitchhiker guitar. As the performance continues, however, a unique phrasing is exquisitely introduced that changes the feel of Sleepwalk as Nokie makes it his own. A master of the arpeggio, Edwards puts the icing on the cake and adds whipped cream to that as his fills are tasteful and impressive. A touch of George Benson surfaces only fleetingly but in a way that cannot be ignored and beckons the listener to sit forward. There can be no denying the talent of this Venture who suprises with a modulation just when you least expect it. He has taken risks in this performance that have paid dividends. Unlike the Shadows, I found the bass competing with the lead of Nokie and a distraction the performace could have done without.

So who gets the nod. For pure tone in a vintage performance Marvin gets my attention. At the same time I am taken by the picking and arrangement of Edwards. At the end of the day, the overall winner for me is the Shadows as the whole of their performance exceeded the sum of their individual efforts. For this round, at least, the Ventures did not impress me as much as the Shadows.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Hank Marvin's version here is much sweeter and more melodic....band sounds better also...
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Guy playing this version is called Colin Pryce Jones of a great instro band here in UK called The RapIers (GUESS WHO HIS HERO IS) introducing him is the original bass player in the Shadows Jet Harris (though Jet looked a hell of a lot different in 1961/62)

Here is a short but rare clip of Sleepwalk played by Shadows on Burns guitars

paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

royclough wrote:Guy playing this version is called Colin Pryce Jones of a great instro band here in UK called The RapIers (GUESS WHO HIS HERO IS) introducing him is the original bass player in the Shadows Jet Harris (though Jet looked a hell of a lot different in 1961/62)

Here is a short but rare clip of Sleepwalk played by Shadows on Burns guitars

I like the skinny tie and the skinny lapel suit!! :D :D

Return to “Shadows' Forum: by Goran”