"Rock and Roll Is Dead"

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
winston
Membership Admin

"Rock and Roll Is Dead"

Post by winston »

Yes that topic heading is a bit sensational but, I am taking a look at the sensational career of Lenny Kravitz and that happens to be the title of one of the songs on his tribute album "Circus" released in 1995. I thought perhaps it might get your attention. :wink:

Leonard Albert "Lenny" Kravitz is a great musician whose music has crept into many of our collections without a lot of fanfare, yet his talent is undeniable. He is a multi instrumentalist who prefers to play every instrument used in his recordings and has interestingly enough; he has also more recently embraced the use of Pro Tools.

His story is very much your typical blue collar and hard work. However he has focused or filtered if you will his abilities and his success through his personal belief in a higher power. He is not shy to mention or talk about what he believes in either.

His music is heavily soaked in influences and as a result even though it is often his own music that you are listening to, it has a vaguely familiar characteristic about it.

I have always believed (long before the business gurus that came along a few years back that are making a killing teaching this principle btw) that you can model success by watching those who are successful very closely. I believe that Lenny Kravitz has done just that. His understanding of the business aspect of the rock and roll business is first class and he has measured his success as a result of his knowledge and talent. It does not hurt that he has always been exposed to the entertainment industry, thanks in part to his mother who was an actress and to his father who was a producer for NBC, if I recall correctly.

Lenny Kravitz! Is he on your play list?
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Re: "Rock and Roll Is Dead"

Post by sowhat »

winston wrote:Lenny Kravitz! Is he on your play list?
Not really. And Marylyn Manson, who said "Rock is dead", isn't either. A coincidence?
Well, i'm not actually comparing these two, Kravitz is way ahead, just, as it seems, for me, when a person mentions he's doing a dead thing, that doesn't work.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Lenny's done some cool stuff over the years Brian, but pales in comparison to Prince (like everyone else..) in the arena of being the complete artist as well as being involved in the business side of things.

Lenny's good, but PRN is the artist of this era.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

sowhat wrote: when a person mentions he's doing a dead thing, that doesn't work.
It doesn't work for me either, but could you please rephrase that Sheena? For some reason it reminds me of some very tacky songs by Alice Cooper and Gnarls Barcley.

Oh, and on the topic, +1 to Wints' post!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

antipodean wrote:
sowhat wrote: when a person mentions he's doing a dead thing, that doesn't work.
It doesn't work for me either, but could you please rephrase that Sheena? For some reason it reminds me of some very tacky songs by Alice Cooper and Gnarls Barcley.
That'd be tough, after a sleepless night and with brain that refuses to work. Well, i mean, by saying something is dead people mean they don't believe in it, and yet they try to "milk" it, that thing they don't believe in. That's strange.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I agree that Prince is incredible. He will get center stage next week as I work my way through my list which includes some of the most interesting and talented artists of all time.

Here are the lyrics to "Rock and Roll is Dead". It does not paint a pretty picture.

You think you're on top of the world
But you know its really over
Runnin' round with diamond rings
And coke spoons that are overflowin'
Rock an Roll is dead
But all the money in the world
Can't buy you from the place you're going to
Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is dead

You can't even sing or play an instrument
So you just scream instead
You're living for an image
So you got five hundred women in your bed
Rock an Roll is dead
But it's real hard to be yourself
When you're living with those demons
In your head
Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is dead

Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is... dead
Rock an Roll is dead
Rock an Roll is dead
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Hey people, I actually LIKE the Grateful Dead... :D

Well...they rocked... :|
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

lyle_from_minneapolis wrote:Hey people, I actually LIKE the Grateful Dead... :D
Well, at least they were grateful... to what/who and for what is another question.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”