Finally, I replaced the strings on my '72 4001

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Finally, I replaced the strings on my '72 4001

Post by gibsonlp »

Hey there,
Yesterday I finally decided to treat my 4001, I started by installing the bridge pickup the way it should be installed - with the original screws and springs.
It was screwed to the body itself with 2 short screws...!!! I didn't like that...
After a short debate with myself I decided to leave the pickup cover in the case, I got used to playing all over the available space...

I also changed strings at last, since I had no idea what kind of strings were on the bass I discovered that instead of the recommended 40-95 it had 45-105 installed on it...! no tail lift whatsoever.
I installed ultra-light D'Addario 40-95 string just in case (and since I had them and thought that I should try).
the previous strings (which I have no idea which brand/type are they) felt more smooth and I liked that, however - they were not flatwound as far as I could tell (I played flatwound once and it felt very slinky).

I am thinking of getting back to 45-105 with the next strings replacement (now when I am playing more, maybe it will happen in this decade...)
What do you say?
So long and thanks for all the fish!
VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

Re: Finally I replaced the strings on my '72 4001

Post by VRICKY63 »

I believe that is RIC spec 45-105 . Should be no problem and I prefer a 105 E (less flop).
It's too early in the morning to talk about our relationship !
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

45-105 is indeed RIC specs for modern 4003, but AFAIK - to avoid having a tail lift and or neck bends on older instruments a lighter gauge should be used (except for some "stronger" one off instruments who seem to endure the tension of the higher gauge strings).
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

My '73 wears TI Jazz Rounds - very low tension strings, 043-089. Took a bit getting used to the low tension, but it was worth it - I'm not stressing the neck, and the sound is to die for.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Get used to the low tension, after a while you will find them to offer you a greater range of expression (unless you are an aggressive player to begin with).

This "debate with myself", was one of you debating in English while the other you debated in Hebrew? :mrgreen:
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

I am not an aggressive player at all.
As for the debate - my left and right cerebral hemispheres were having this debate, not me :)
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

I'm self employed and work from home - I lose arguments to myself all the time :lol:

I like the DR high beams and low riders and understand that they are low tension.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Gil, there is always a .100 E choice also. Like Jeff, I like a lighter set for the expression possibilities that are easier with a lighter string. I use D'Addario EXL-170 strings - 45-65-80-100.
mdeayton

Post by mdeayton »

What is this "next time I replace strings" thing that you speak about? Long time flatwound wearer here.
bob_atherton
Intermediate Member

Post by bob_atherton »

ilan wrote:My '73 wears TI Jazz Rounds - very low tension strings, 043-089. Took a bit getting used to the low tension, but it was worth it - I'm not stressing the neck, and the sound is to die for.
I use these on my '72 4001 as well. I put them on for the sake of the neck but as Ilan says they take a bit of getting used to but give a very good vintage sound. Or maybe that's the bass.... :?:
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

bob_atherton wrote:
ilan wrote:My '73 wears TI Jazz Rounds - very low tension strings, 043-089. Took a bit getting used to the low tension, but it was worth it - I'm not stressing the neck, and the sound is to die for.
I use these on my '72 4001 as well. I put them on for the sake of the neck but as Ilan says they take a bit of getting used to but give a very good vintage sound. Or maybe that's the bass.... :?:
Or, just maybe, those fingers... :)
bob_atherton
Intermediate Member

Post by bob_atherton »

wints wrote:
bob_atherton wrote:
Or, just maybe, those fingers... :)
That was post 4000 Wints. Better get the cheque book out.... :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”