My hand hurts...

Putting music theory into practice
JakeK
RRF Consultant

My hand hurts...

Post by JakeK »

When I hold barre chords for a long period of time. Now adays, it's standard basic chords, too. The hurting doesn't go away 'til I crack my knuckles, which isn't something I enjoy doing.

Not only does the hurting come when I hold chords, but also when I'm writing at school (which is a LOT!). Does anyone have any solutions for how to make the hurting stop? Am I getting arthritis? :shock:
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: My hand hurts...

Post by sloop_john_b »

You need to STOP playing and get it checked out.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Switch hands for awhile, Jake!!! :wink: :lol:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I told my mom about it. She has arthritis and is scared I may have got it from her. I dunno, I might be taking a trip to the doctor. My 660/12 and Highway One Tele (which I play frequently) have wide necks, and I think that isn't good on my hand. Something slim and narrow (like the 1998 PT) would help out a bunch.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

both of my hands hurts 24 hours a day from injuries i suffered playing drums. it sucks. if yours are just startingt o hurt, see a doc asap.
wj350
Advanced Member

Post by wj350 »

Always good to get it checked out Jake, but it could simply be a combination of things taxing your hands--school, playing guitar, sports, etc..

Don't underestimate the value of stretching your finger and hand muscles before you play. Hope it's something simple like this...

Bill
"Let me take you down...'cause I'm going to...."
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Before you read my advice, make an appointment with a doctor.

More than likely you have tendonitis which, in most cases, is completely manageable. You can do a few things to help immensely:
1. take an anti-inflamatory
2. STRETCH your hand before and after playing
3. hot wax bath for you hand (if you know someone who has one) -this cure nothing, but it definitely helps with the pain
4. try other guitars for a while -I found that certain neck contours were murder on my hands when I was hurt before

Though it's been nearly 7 years now, I once seriously injured my left hand; my thumb was pushed all the way back! Fears of being unable to play the guitar gave me nightmares. And though I was in a brace for eight months, I played every day (never told this to the doctor).
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

longhouse wrote: And though I was in a brace for eight months, I played every day (never told this to the doctor).
Naughty boy, you! :roll:

Sincerely,
Your doctor :mrgreen:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

longhouse wrote:Before you read my advice, make an appointment with a doctor.

More than likely you have tendonitis which, in most cases, is completely manageable. You can do a few things to help immensely:
3. hot wax bath for you hand (if you know someone who has one) -this cure nothing, but it definitely helps with the pain
4. try other guitars for a while -I found that certain neck contours were murder on my hands when I was hurt before

Though it's been nearly 7 years now, I once seriously injured my left hand; my thumb was pushed all the way back! Fears of being unable to play the guitar gave me nightmares. And though I was in a brace for eight months, I played every day (never told this to the doctor).
I'm definitely trying to find a narrow-necked Ric with a slim neck (1998 PT), and that will probably help out a bunch. What strings are easiest on the hands?
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Quite often strings of the same gauge will have different tension values (depending on construction/manufacturer/etc.). Fortunately some makers now include this bit of info on their packaging and websites. Still I cannot abide ultra-skinny strings, so I have to have at least 10s on my Rics.

Lately I've been using Gibson Pure Nickel and D'Addario Nickels.

Hope it all works out for you.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

longhouse wrote:Before you read my advice, make an appointment with a doctor.

I've used the hot wax bath for years. It helps immensely with pain and makes your skin sooo soft. Seriously, though, it's a good thing. The one I use is called a Therabath Pro, sells on the 'Bay for about $140.00 including wax.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

longhouse wrote:More than likely you have tendonitis which, in most cases, is completely manageable. You can do a few things to help immensely:
This advice sounds the best. I'll try this and see what happens on my Tele. Keep in mind though, my Highway 1 does have a rather wide neck. I think I should try and rid my wide-necked guitars and save for the Townshend 1998.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Ah, so this is all a ploy to justify buying a 1997? Skinny neck or not, I bet your hand will still hurt 'till you get it checked out.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I took longhouse's advice...no stiffness! :D Thanks so much, man! I played for a solid hour or two, and it felt great to be playing again! I also did a song with a lot of barre chord (Mona -- The Stones' arrangement), and no stiffness :)

I still think I should make an appointment with the doctor, though. What do you all think?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Unless the pain came on very suddenly, I would give it another week or two and see how you feel.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”