First Instro You Learned To Play Please

Reverberations from Duane Eddy and beyond
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: First Instro You Learned To Play Please

Post by kenposurf »

mgauction wrote:Kinda late here but what the hell........Surf Rider by The Lively Ones.
:D :D :D
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

admin wrote:The first instro for me was Walk Don't Run. I still love it today. It is a very simple melody. Why was it so successful on the charts?
Likely the simple melody was a huge part of the "why" Peter. It's said the WDR launched 10,000 garage bands and I would agree...you didn't even need a singer! Now if you did have a singer you might go for that other catchy riff...Satisfaction... :D
string_along

Post by string_along »

Hmmm... thinking wayyyy back here... it had to be Duane Eddy's "Because They're Young". Lead and chords.
Second song was then Eddy's "Rebel Rouser", naturally! 8)
Low End Lover

Post by Low End Lover »

"Rumble" by Link Wray. My wife will tell you it is why she married me. And I will tell you that I married her because she actually knew who Link Wray was!
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

I learned the riff from Peter Gunn on a neighbors acoustic. He got so tired of me coming over and playing it that he told my Dad to get me a guitar. First instro I learned all the way through was "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and it was also my first public performance.
rictified

Post by rictified »

teb wrote:Either "Walk Don't Run" or "Pipeline", I'm not sure which was first.
I started out as a guitar player as basses at my price point (poverty: 12 or 13 years old) were more expensive than electric guitars. I think it was either Pipeline or Walk Don't Run 64 but I used to borrow a friends Venture's album and learn all the ones I could. McCartney's hummin' guitar pointed me towards bass, when I heard that electric bass guitar of his I was hooked. When I think electric bass guitar I still feel the same way I did in 1964 when I found out the correct name for it. Electric basses were still fairly new in 64 and were definitely cool to this 11 year old.

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”